  • Mr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2003
      this is the longeset unsolved problem i ever had on
      linux. so i will really apricate it if someone can
      help. here it goes, i need to mount a fat32 system and
      i want to be able to see the file names. i mean i
      always get question marke invalid uncode and stuff
      like that.. ao how can i mount my fat32 filesystem and
      view my hebrew filenames.. if it helps then the files
      names where given from i windows xp OS. thanks in
      advance.

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2003
        On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Mr wrote:

        > this is the longesetunsolved problem i ever had on
        > linux. so i will really apricate it if someone can
        > help. here it goes, i need to mount a fat32 system and
        > i want to be able to see the file names. i mean i
        > always get question marke invalid uncode and stuff
        > like that.. ao how can i mount my fat32 filesystem and
        > view my hebrew filenames.. if it helps then the files
        > names where given from i windows xp OS. thanks in
        > advance.

        Use the iocharset=iso8859-8 and codepage=862 parameters to the mount
        command or in /etc/fstab.

        There's no point in keeping an idea to yourself since there's a 10 to 1
        chance that somebody already has it and will share it before you.
      • Diego Iastrubni
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16, 2003
          I am running mdk9.1 is it works out of the box, even without Shlomi'ts advice.

          If Shlomi's advice works you can stop reading this mail.

          I will make the question which I always ask when someone asks for my help:
          Mr, what is your distro?
          Post the contents of the /etc/fstab line which mounts the device.
          Post also the output of the command 'locale'.

          ביום ראשון, 15 ביוני 2003, 14:57, Shlomi Fish כתב:
          > On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Mr wrote:
          > > this is the longesetunsolved problem i ever had on
          > > linux. so i will really apricate it if someone can
          > > help. here it goes, i need to mount a fat32 system and
          > > i want to be able to see the file names. i mean i
          > > always get question marke invalid uncode and stuff
          > > like that.. ao how can i mount my fat32 filesystem and
          > > view my hebrew filenames.. if it helps then the files
          > > names where given from i windows xp OS. thanks in
          > > advance.
          >
          > Use the iocharset=iso8859-8 and codepage=862 parameters to the mount
          > command or in /etc/fstab.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Shlomi Fish

          > Shlomi Fish shlomif@...
          > Home Page: http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
          >
          > There's no point in keeping an idea to yourself since there's a 10 to 1
          > chance that somebody already has it and will share it before you.

          - diego
          / Football builds self-discipline. What \
          | else would induce a spectator to sit |
          \ out in the open in subfreezing weather? /
          \ ^__^
          \ (xx)\_______
          (__)\ )\/\
          U ||----w |
          || ||

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 16, 2003
            On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 04:53:48AM -0700, Mr wrote:
            > this is the longeset unsolved problem i ever had on
            > linux. so i will really apricate it if someone can
            > help. here it goes, i need to mount a fat32 system and
            > i want to be able to see the file names. i mean i
            > always get question marke invalid uncode and stuff
            > like that.. ao how can i mount my fat32 filesystem and
            > view my hebrew filenames.. if it helps then the files
            > names where given from i windows xp OS. thanks in
            > advance.

            The all-unicode settings:

            In /etc/fstab add the following mount option to your NTFS partition:

            utf8

            Remove any existing iocharset, uni_xlate and codepage options.

            In /etc/sysconfig/i18n you should have something like:

            LANG="he_IL.UTF-8"
            SYSFONT="LatArCyrHeb-16"

            Remove any unnecessary 'LC_<somrting' line you don't expicitly need
            (remove it. Add it later on if you'll need). And also remove any
            SYSFONTACM line. (SYSFONT and SYSFONTACM are only relevant for the
            console, and not for X-Windows).

            Now re-login, un-mount and mount the NTFS partition, and it should be
            visioble.

            Sadly enough, KDE maintains its own charset settings. And the default
            isn't to "use the system's deault". So you'll have to check your user's
            configuration. (Here is one point where "user friendly" is 'sysadmin
            nightmare').

            OK: how do I verify that KDE uses a UTF-8 locale?

            Anyway, the above should be good enough for uxterm, nautilus,
            gnome-terminal, and others. Also try grabbing mlterm and using it as
            your terminal.

            --