New User

  • Yuval Nardi
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2000
      Hello all,
      I am a real NewBie in linux-PC (not Unix).Just intalled Red Hat 6.2,
      but I have a major problem:

      I run Win98 / Linux (booting Linux using a diskette, not LILO):
      my problem is :hardware:

      1) I have a USB mouse ("Microsoft IntelliEye") and don't know how to
      get it works under Linux.

      2) I have a "MOTOROLA SM56 pci" modem and I can't work with it. I
      think Linux does not support this modem - Is there anything I can
      still do to connect to the internet ?

      Thank U all.

      Yuval Nardi
      Hebrew University of Jerusalem
      Department of Statistics
      02-5348739
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21, 2000
        On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Yuval Nardi wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I am a real NewBie in linux-PC (not Unix).Just intalled Red Hat 6.2,
        > but I have a major problem:
        >
        > I run Win98 / Linux (booting Linux using a diskette, not LILO):
        > my problem is :hardware:
        >
        > 1) I have a USB mouse ("Microsoft IntelliEye") and don't know how to
        > get it works under Linux.

        Well, you will need to install the USB support. Mandrake included it by
        default but I don't think that RedHat does, at least not on version 6.2.

        In any case, check:

        http://www.suse.cz/development/usb-backport/

        for the USB support in kernel 2.2.x which ships with RH 6.2. I can't
        promise it will work, because I myself had no experience with it.

        In any case, you should consider buying a PS/2 or serial mouse. They are
        not very pricey.

        > 2) I have a "MOTOROLA SM56 pci" modem and I can't work with it. I
        > think Linux does not support this modem - Is there anything I can
        > still do to connect to the internet ?

        Not as far as I know, unless the modem vendor supplies drivers for Linux
        too. And like Boris said, you can buy another modem.

        Hope it helps,

        Shlomi Fish

        > Thank U all.
        >
        > Yuval Nardi
        > Hebrew University of Jerusalem
        > Department of Statistics
        > 02-5348739

        Home E-mail: shlomif@...

        The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of
        converting any statement that follows it into a true one.