X server stuck keyboard completely

  • Meh Lounge
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2002
      While debugging (in user mode of course) some C files
      and causing some segfaults I found that occasionaly my
      X server is stuck (probably somehow the segfault
      corrupted its inner variables) and either no reply
      from keyboard is allowed or only the kill server
      (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) it should be noted howeer that
      some proccesses still kept going noticabley the clock
      and icewin's resource checker, sometimes the pointer
      was 'stuck' with ddd's symbol but always movable. This
      obviously shouldn't happen but (1) why did it happen,
      (2) how can I handle such a thing afterwards (no
      network so sshd is not an option) without cold booting
      my machine, (3) how can I prevent such occurences in
      the future.
      I'm running a PII Mandrake 9.0 icewin+emacs+ddd+xterm
      Xfree 4.?? (I'll check it out if neccessary).
      Thanks

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com