Hi... I have a question....

  • yuval khalifa
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2000
      Hi!

      I want to get a SIMPLE explanation on how to be able to read hebrew E-mails
      under Red Hat Linux 6.2, I use a Pentium III computer with 8GB hard drive,
      and 64Mb RAM, with dual boot between Windows 95 and Linux 6.2 (RedHat).
      Is it possible to write/read hebrew e-mails under Netscape Communicator? is
      it possible to read/write/create hebrew filenames and hebrew ASCII text
      files?

      Thanks,
      Yuval.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2000
        On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, yuval khalifa wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > I want to get a SIMPLE explanation on how to be able to read hebrew E-mails
        > under Red Hat Linux 6.2, I use a Pentium III computer with 8GB hard drive,
        > and 64Mb RAM, with dual boot between Windows 95 and Linux 6.2 (RedHat).
        > Is it possible to write/read hebrew e-mails under Netscape Communicator? is
        > it possible to read/write/create hebrew filenames and hebrew ASCII text
        > files?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Yuval.

        Try hebpine. And I don't think Communicator will work, at least not at
        present. I believe Tzafrir Cohen is more knowledgable about that than I
        am.

        Home E-mail: shlomif@...

        The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of
        converting any statement that follows it into a true one.
      • yuval khalifa
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2000
          Hi !

          Thanks, Tzafrir is on my contact list in ICQ so I asked him and he told me
          to ask you... gee, how modest are you? (-;

          Yuval.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 22, 2000
            Hi

            I don't have a decent web connection at the moment, so I can't give you
            any verified links. Anyway...

            On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, yuval khalifa wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > I want to get a SIMPLE explanation on how to be able to read hebrew E-mails
            > under Red Hat Linux 6.2, I use a Pentium III computer with 8GB hard drive,
            > and 64Mb RAM, with dual boot between Windows 95 and Linux 6.2 (RedHat).
            > Is it possible to write/read hebrew e-mails under Netscape Communicator?

            I haven't tried it, but it seems that reading and writing mail in NS is
            possible, only you'll see the hebrew reveresed. You'll probably also have
            to set the character-set of your message.

            If the message is encoded in unicode (UTF8) - netscape will not even show
            the characters correctly.

            Generally - NS is not that good as a mail client. I suggest you try mutt,
            pine and XFMail (any other recommended?) - it is a big bloat, that crashes
            too often.

            As for writing - you can try writing the message in a text editor with
            better Hebrew support (maybe try gtkbidi with some editor,see
            http://linux.org.il/pub/Hebrew/00INDEX.html#gtkbidi )

            In the linux-il FAQ I described what procedure I use to read and write
            Hebrew email with pine. I believe most of it can be appied to others (or
            maybe simply copy the text from the mail client to gtkbidi gedit to read
            it).

            BTW: don't use hebpine. It uses visual Hebrew, which is basically wrong,
            and would probably be misinterpeted by any mail client that supports
            Hebrew (although I believe Outlook Express is the only one at the moment).

            > is
            > it possible to read/write/create hebrew filenames

            It is possible, but I would advise against it, as some programs may suume
            filenames are ASCII chars (that is - chars at the range 32-127). I never
            noticed any problem, though.

            > and hebrew ASCII text
            > files?

            Certainly. All you need is a way to type in Hebrew chars. Either use X or
            console keyboard mapping, or use an editor like vim (or emacs with Hebrew
            mode). There's information about all of those in the FAQ
            (http://linux.org.il/faq/), however I don't remember the exact page, and
            how well organized it is.