mail question

  • Idan Dolev
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 1:38 AM
      Hi,

      Does someone know how can I send a file using the command line mail in linux
      example : mail -v idan@... (file ...etc..??)

      10x

      idan
    • mulix
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 2:32 AM
        On Tue, 1 May 2001, Idan Dolev wrote:

        > Does someone know how can I send a file using the command line mail in linux
        > example : mail -v idan@... (file ...etc..??)

        cat filename | mail foo@...

        if you mean sending file as an attachment, i'm not sure mail(1) has that
        capability. man mail should give you an authoriatve answer.

        --
        mulix
        http://www.advogato.com/person/mulix

        linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead
      • amir abiri
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 6:26 AM
          i think that sendmail can take attachments through command line.
          --
          Certified Windows Exorcist by the "Deltree C:\Windows" Institute.
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1 6:29 AM
            On Tue, 1 May 2001, Idan Dolev wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Does someone know how can I send a file using the command line mail in linux
            > example : mail -v idan@... (file ...etc..??)

            The problem is handling all the mime stuff.

            Other than that, you simply run a program to generate the content you
            want, and pipe the output to (you guessed right) mail:

            cat a_nice_file |mail -s "an optional subject" idan@...

            But the problem is to generate the content of a mime attachment.

            One unplesent way to do it is the sendfiles script that comes with the nmh
            package. It uses a program called 'viamail' to do the actual work.

            I also tried the metasend command from the metamail package, but it wasn't
            very convinient as well.