Re: [gnubies-il] not a valid block device

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8 11:08 AM
      On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, meir michanie wrote:

      > May be this can help,
      > I have a diskonkey that it is also a usb mass storage device.
      > it tries to link it like this
      > /dev/sda1 /mnt/diskonkey
      >
      > but it does not work till I run
      >
      > /dev/sda4 /mnt/diskonkey.
      >
      > so first check the partitions running
      >
      > fdisk /dev/sda
      >
      > then press p for print partitions

      It would be simpler to use:

      fdisk -l /dev/sda

    • Nigel Ridley
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10 9:15 AM
        I am sure that the main problem is that my camera is not being recognised
        by the usb mass storage module.
        The relevant bit from /var/log/messages after I did 'insmod usb-storage':
        Sep 10 19:05:06 nigels_box kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
        Sep 10 19:05:06 nigels_box kernel: usb.c: registered new driver
        usb-storage
        Sep 10 19:05:06 nigels_box kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
        Sep 10 19:05:21 nigels_box kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on
        bus2/1, assigned device number 3
        Sep 10 19:05:21 nigels_box kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod
        0x919/0x100) is not claimed by any active driver.
        Sep 10 19:05:22 nigels_box /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for USB
        product 919/100/100

        Needless to say I couldn't mount the camera :-(
        Oh well I suppose I shall just have to continue using that other OS for my
        camera :-( :-(

        Thanks anyway,

        Nigel Ridley.

        On Sun, 08 Sep 2002 17:47:10 +0000
        "meir michanie" <meirmichanie@...> wrote:

        > May be this can help,
        > I have a diskonkey that it is also a usb mass storage device.
        > it tries to link it like this
        > /dev/sda1 /mnt/diskonkey
        >
        > but it does not work till I run
        >
        > /dev/sda4 /mnt/diskonkey.
        >
        > so first check the partitions running
        >
        > fdisk /dev/sda
        >
        > then press p for print partitions
        >
        > and then try to mount each partition till you found the one where the
        > pics.
        >
        > tell me if it worked for you.
        >
        > >From: Nigel Ridley <Nigel@...>
        > >To: gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [gnubies-il] not a valid block device
        > >Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:26:25 +0300
        > >
        > >Shana Tova!
        > >
        > >I am still trying to get my usb mass storage camera to work and after a
        > >re-install, with the camera connected and switched on, I now have loads
        > >of scsi entries in /dev . I added the following lines to /etc/fstab:
        > >/dev/sda1 /mnt/camera vfat noauto,owner,ro,user 0 0
        > >
        > >and created the directory /mnt/camera .
        > >
        > >However, when I do a 'mount /mnt/camera' I get the following error:
        > >[root@nigels_box nigel]# mount /mnt/camera
        > >mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        I AM Bible Studies and Resources
        http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

        Messianic E-Cards