Re: [gnubies-il] not a valid block device

  • meir michanie
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2002
      May be this can help,
      I have a diskonkey that it is also a usb mass storage device.
      it tries to link it like this
      /dev/sda1 /mnt/diskonkey

      but it does not work till I run

      /dev/sda4 /mnt/diskonkey.

      so first check the partitions running

      fdisk /dev/sda

      then press p for print partitions

      and then try to mount each partition till you found the one where the pics.

      tell me if it worked for you.

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2002
        On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, meir michanie wrote:

        > May be this can help,
        > I have a diskonkey that it is also a usb mass storage device.
        > it tries to link it like this
        > /dev/sda1 /mnt/diskonkey
        >
        > but it does not work till I run
        >
        > /dev/sda4 /mnt/diskonkey.
        >
        > so first check the partitions running
        >
        > fdisk /dev/sda
        >
        > then press p for print partitions

        It would be simpler to use:

        fdisk -l /dev/sda

      • Nigel Ridley
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
          I am sure that the main problem is that my camera is not being recognised
          by the usb mass storage module.
          The relevant bit from /var/log/messages after I did 'insmod usb-storage':
          Sep 10 19:05:06 nigels_box kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
          Sep 10 19:05:06 nigels_box kernel: usb.c: registered new driver
          usb-storage
          Sep 10 19:05:06 nigels_box kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
          Sep 10 19:05:21 nigels_box kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on
          bus2/1, assigned device number 3
          Sep 10 19:05:21 nigels_box kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod
          0x919/0x100) is not claimed by any active driver.
          Sep 10 19:05:22 nigels_box /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for USB
          product 919/100/100

          Needless to say I couldn't mount the camera :-(
          Oh well I suppose I shall just have to continue using that other OS for my
          camera :-( :-(

          Thanks anyway,

          Nigel Ridley.

          On Sun, 08 Sep 2002 17:47:10 +0000
          "meir michanie" <meirmichanie@...> wrote:

          > May be this can help,
          > I have a diskonkey that it is also a usb mass storage device.
          > it tries to link it like this
          > /dev/sda1 /mnt/diskonkey
          >
          > but it does not work till I run
          >
          > /dev/sda4 /mnt/diskonkey.
          >
          > so first check the partitions running
          >
          > fdisk /dev/sda
          >
          > then press p for print partitions
          >
          > and then try to mount each partition till you found the one where the
          > pics.
          >
          > tell me if it worked for you.
          >
          > >From: Nigel Ridley <Nigel@...>
          > >To: gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [gnubies-il] not a valid block device
          > >Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:26:25 +0300
          > >
          > >Shana Tova!
          > >
          > >I am still trying to get my usb mass storage camera to work and after a
          > >re-install, with the camera connected and switched on, I now have loads
          > >of scsi entries in /dev . I added the following lines to /etc/fstab:
          > >/dev/sda1 /mnt/camera vfat noauto,owner,ro,user 0 0
          > >
          > >and created the directory /mnt/camera .
          > >
          > >However, when I do a 'mount /mnt/camera' I get the following error:
          > >[root@nigels_box nigel]# mount /mnt/camera
          > >mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          I AM Bible Studies and Resources
          http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

          Messianic E-Cards