Another bit of MS stupidity

  • Amir Abiri
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2001
      O.K... here's the final episode of my story today, a bit of "mosar haskel" and another little it of microsoft's stupidity...

      Some backgroud:
      DOS partition table format uses 10 to tell where Primary partition starts.
      so it is limited to saying "1025 to..."
      but, when you run fdisk and say you want a partition table to start from let's say the 1026 cylinder, some really smart MS programmer never thought of adding one poor line in his code of something like :
      if (start > 1024)
          printf("We are stupid.\n");

      i guess this is too hard for the averafe MS programmer.

      instead our nice programmer just ignores all those un-significant LEFT bits and puts 1024 on the 10 bits that say where the partition starts...

      the outcome you ask ?

      well when you partition your HD and put a first partition that is bigger then 1024 cylinders and a second DOS partition, it simply creates that second partition ON THE FIRST ONE... no problemo... put it there... it will be just fine...
      now if you had something on that first partition (like... let's say... information... ) and now you format your new DOS partition, you can kiss bye bye 2GB of your first partition... in most cases it will simply fuck the file system on that partition and destroy more then 2GB on info on it... more likely it will destroy the rntire partition...

      that's why (tzafir) they put windows9x partitions first... becuz they can't handle the heat... but then again it's not that surprising is it... ?

      --
      It's not working ? Hmmm.... What's the operating system ? right then... just run "Del C:\windows" and it will solve all the problems...
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20, 2001
        On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Amir Abiri wrote:

        > O.K... here's the final episode of my story today, a bit of "mosar haskel" and another little it of microsoft's stupidity...
        >
        > Some backgroud:
        > DOS partition table format uses 10 to tell where Primary partition starts.
        > so it is limited to saying "1025 to..."
        > but, when you run fdisk and say you want a partition table to start
        > from let's say the 1026 cylinder, some really smart MS programmer never
        > thought of adding one poor line in his code of something like :
        > if (start > 1024)
        > printf("We are stupid.\n");
        >
        > i guess this is too hard for the averafe MS programmer.
        >
        > instead our nice programmer just ignores all those un-significant LEFT
        > bits and puts 1024 on the 10 bits that say where the partition starts...
        >
        > the outcome you ask ?
        >
        > well when you partition your HD and put a first partition that is
        > bigger then 1024 cylinders and a second DOS partition, it simply creates
        > that second partition ON THE FIRST ONE... no problemo... put it
        > there... it will be just fine...

        Let me get this: It happens even if you create the dos partition with
        linux's fdisk (or cfdisk, or diskdrake, or diskdruid, or some commercial
        tool, or whatever) and simply format it with dos's format?

        If not, then simply avoid using DOS's fdisk. It is not that powerful or
        easy-to-use anyway.

        > now if you had something on that first partition (like... let's
        > say... information... ) and now you format your new DOS partition, you
        > can kiss bye bye 2GB of your first partition... in most cases it will
        > simply fuck the file system on that partition and destroy more then 2GB
        > on infoon it... more likely it will destroy the rntire partition...
        >
        > that's why (tzafir) they put windows9x partitions first... becuz they
        > can't handle the heat... but then again it's not that surprising is
        > it... ?

        I'm not sure, because you don't have to use win9x's fdisk (or even win9x's
        format) for creating (or formatting) the FAT partition.

      • Amir Abiri
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 20, 2001
          > On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Amir Abiri wrote:
          >
          > > O.K... here's the final episode of my story today, a bit of "mosar
          haskel" and another little it of microsoft's stupidity...

          > > Some backgroud:
          > > DOS partition table format uses 10 to tell where Primary partition
          starts.
          > > so it is limited to saying "1025 to..."
          > > but, when you run fdisk and say you want a partition table to start
          > > from let's say the 1026 cylinder, some really smart MS programmer never
          > > thought of adding one poor line in his code of something like :
          > > if (start > 1024)
          > > printf("We are stupid.\n");
          > >
          > > i guess this is too hard for the averafe MS programmer.
          > >
          > > instead our nice programmer just ignores all those un-significant LEFT
          > > bits and puts 1024 on the 10 bits that say where the partition starts...
          > >
          > > the outcome you ask ?
          > >
          > > well when you partition your HD and put a first partition that is
          > > bigger then 1024 cylinders and a second DOS partition, it simply creates
          > > that second partition ON THE FIRST ONE... no problemo... put it
          > > there... it will be just fine...
          >
          > Let me get this: It happens even if you create the dos partition with
          > linux's fdisk (or cfdisk, or diskdrake, or diskdruid, or some commercial
          > tool, or whatever) and simply format it with dos's format?
          >
          > If not, then simply avoid using DOS's fdisk. It is not that powerful or
          > easy-to-use anyway.
          >
          > > now if you had something on that first partition (like... let's
          > > say... information... ) and now you format your new DOS partition, you
          > > can kiss bye bye 2GB of your first partition... in most cases it will
          > > simply fuck the file system on that partition and destroy more then 2GB
          > > on infoon it... more likely it will destroy the rntire partition...
          > >
          > > that's why (tzafir) they put windows9x partitions first... becuz they
          > > can't handle the heat... but then again it's not that surprising is
          > > it... ?
          >
          > I'm not sure, because you don't have to use win9x's fdisk (or even win9x's
          > format) for creating (or formatting) the FAT partition.

          Every documentation i read backed up what i think:
          it's better to let the OS you are going to use create it's own partition.
          even something as simple as a partition table format, you can never know
          what extra tweaks are out there that linux programmer didn't know about MS
          programmers decisions. so prefered using the windows Fdisk.

          > --
          > Tzafrir Cohen
          > mailto:tzafrir@...
          > http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

        • Amir Abiri
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 20, 2001
            i used windows 98's fdisk program.
            so the bug is microsofts and it exists in windows 98 second edition installation disk.

            i'm sure it would have been avoided if i used an extended partition. but the fact that the program can't check such a simple mistake on such a delicate matter and the fact that this program costs 700 NIS just pisses me off.
            Good morning you have described the 1024 cylinder of the BIOS. Not windows. BTW: windows 98 fixed it (I think...)

          • dgi_il@hotmail.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 20, 2001
                Hi,
                before  you decide on M$ stupidity pls note that there is a difference in disk partioning between M$ and linux. Linux can be installed in partition defined by M$ the other way does not always work.

                I write this from personal expirience as I have on my box 2 disk on the fist (hda) I have WIN95, WIN98 and WINME ond on the secound drive WINM98 (a hidden partition for backup) Red-hat 62, Mandrake 7.1 and SuSE 7.1. (All the linux system are installed in two partition at the 1024 cyl boundary /boot and  / at the end).

                I am trying to add the Debian.

                            Shemmy Porat