Re: [gnubies-il] hebrew in abiword

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20 5:13 AM
      On 20 Apr 2001, ronny abraham wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I read an article a short while back that said that abiword had right to
      > left support aka hebrew, but I couldn't find any info on how to use
      > hebrew fonts with it.Does anybody else have any idea?

      Try to dig in the archive of the ivrix-discuss mailing list
      (http://ivrix.org.il ). Some instructions were posted there. Generally
      abiword has to have the fonts defined seperately from their installation
      for X. I've never tried it, though.

      > In general I'm having a hard time with the fonts on red hat.The
      > How-To's are confusing at best, and some (the hebrew how-to) is dated.

      http://linux.org.il/faq/ (the "Hebrew" section) is currently the best
      source IMHO . Could use more some improvments, though.

      I'll hebce refer to it as 'the FAQ'.

      > While the Corel distro had a lot of things I would have liked
      > differently (including the fact that they're dropping it) it did have
      > GREAT font support (if you were using the deluxe version - but no hebrew
      > stuff).I'd be more than willing to shell out $$$ for a decent font
      > server and good fonts, any ideas on this one either?

      No need to shell out $$ if all you want is a decent set of fonts.

      Linux currently has a resonable support of true-type fonts. XFree4
      supports them out-of-the-box, redhat and mandrake>= 6.0 have a fonts
      server that supports TTFs, an so most other distros.

      The FAQ lists a couple of font servers that support true-type fonts, and a
      couple of sources for decent hebrew fonts. The easiest is to rip hebrew
      fonts out of a near-by windows partition. Alternatively you can download
      some of them from MS's site. The license is rather permissive, and
      certainly more than enough for home-usage.