Re: [gnubies-il] rpm incompatability

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 27, 2002
      The RedHat and Mandrake KDE RPMs are incompatible. Don't even think about
      installing the Manrake ones.

      Home E-mail: shlomif@...

    • Leibovich Family
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
        I was trying to upgrade RH kde3.0 to Mandrakes 3.2 (as RedHat won't
        officially build the RPMs regulary check they download page) it refused to
        upgrade (-U) any of the packages do to dependecy failure (?!) obviosly this
        is not possible since KDE 3.0 is already installed. A small checkup
        determined some problems are Mandrake's rpm needs kdelibs3 and I have
        kdelibs-3, solving this problem by either forcing renaming or reinstalling
        all the Mandrake packages should not be much of a problem' but I was
        wondering - how could RPM design be so sloppy?
        The obvious sane way was to depend packages with files or even in-library
        functions existence - not of a database entry, upgrading different packages
        based of possible malformed name seems like the very immediate recipe for
        troubles (this RPMs will require libkde3 others libkde-3 others libkde3.0
        VeIm Kach - Ein Ladavar Sof...)
        Am I right? Is that a misdesign?
      • Leibovich Family
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
          > The RedHat and Mandrake KDE RPMs are incompatible. Don't even think about
          > installing the Manrake ones.
          Thanks - but isn't that called misdesign. I mean the files are the same
          files why should packaging matter?
          During the time RPM seems to me less and less tempting to use...

          I don't use packaging to challenge my sysadmin skills - every newbie can
          make and make install, I'm using it to make life easier - for easy removal
          and upgrading new software. Binding me to a single distro is not by any
          means easier or nicer than tgz (!)
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
            On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Leibovich Family wrote:

            > I was trying to upgrade RH kde3.0 to Mandrakes 3.2

            I assume you mean "mandrake's packages of KDE 3.0.2". ut for which of
            vrsion of Mandrake? (8.1? 8.2? cooker?)

            > (as RedHat won't
            > officially build the RPMs regulary check they download page)

            Unofficial KDE 3.0.2 packages for redhat are available, and it even seems
            that someone tried them:

            http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Linux/maillists/02/07/msg00597.html

            http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Linux/maillists/02/07/msg00605.html

            > it refused to
            > upgrade (-U) any of the packages do to dependecy failure (?!) obviosly this
            > is not possible since KDE 3.0 isalready installed. A small checkup
            > determined some problems are Mandrake's rpm needs kdelibs3 and I have
            > kdelibs-3, solving this problem by either forcing renaming or reinstalling
            > all the Mandrake packages should not be much of a problem' but I was
            > wondering - how could RPM design be so sloppy?

            A possible workaround:

            Create an empty package that depends on "kdelibs3" and provides
            "kdelibs-3". Actually, if redhat's packages were built in advance to be an
            upgrade of Mandrake's packages, they would have had this (or something
            similar, using "Obsoletes")

            Let me know if you want me to send you my prototype "from-foo-to-bar" rpm
            spec file (basically you only have to edit two lines in the header, run
            'rpm -bb' and you have that empty package I mentioned). Maybe I have
            already posted it here.

            As for the design of RPM: the design of RPM assumes that you generally
            install packages from one "packages pool". Creating this "package pool" is
            not trivial: there are many places where you can get things wrong
            (espcially when upgrading between diferent versions of the distro).

            Note that the Mandrake RPM will also have a number of other different
            features, such as menus.

            > The obvious sane way was to depend packages with files or even in-library
            > functions existence - not of a database entry, upgrading different packages
            > based of possible malformed name seems like the very immediate recipe for
            > troubles (this RPMs will require libkde3 others libkde-3 others libkde3.0
            > VeIm Kach - Ein Ladavar Sof...)
            > Am I right? Is that a misdesign?

            There are automatic dependecies created on package creation time. Indeed,
            it may be a misdesign... (or is there a better reason?

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
              On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Leibovich Family wrote:

              > > The RedHat and Mandrake KDE RPMs are incompatible. Don't even think about
              > > installing the Manrake ones.
              > Thanks - but isn't that called misdesign. I mean the files are the same
              > files why should packaging matter?

              KDE is a very complex architecture, so you could expect some difference in
              the way Mandrake and RH package it. Most of the RPMs are compatible
              between the two distros, though, so it's not all bad.

              > During the time RPM seems to me less and less tempting to use...

              RPM is great, and you should try using it whenever possible. Just not for
              installing Mandrake KDE RPMs on RedHat...

              > I don't use packaging to challenge my sysadmin skills - every newbie can
              > make and make install, I'm using it to make life easier - for easy removal
              > and upgrading new software. Binding me to a single distro is not by any
              > means easier or nicer than tgz (!)

              That's life. ;-)

              Home E-mail: shlomif@...

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
                While we're at it: can you check that building LM-Solve as a RPM is
                working on your RedHat system?

                Grab:

                http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lm-solve/LM-Solve-0.5.4.tar.gz

                And type rpm -tb on it.

                Home E-mail: shlomif@...

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
                  Thanks!

                  Please try this archive:

                  http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lm-solve/rh/LM-Solver-0.5.4.tar.gz

                  instead.

                  Thanks in advance,

                  Shlomi Fish

                  Home E-mail: shlomif@...

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
                    On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote:

                    > On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Leibovich Family wrote:
                    >
                    > > > The RedHat and Mandrake KDE RPMs are incompatible. Don't even think about
                    > > > installing the Manrake ones.
                    >
                    > > Thanks - but isn't that called misdesign. I mean the files are the same
                    > > files why should packaging matter?

                    They are packaged for different systems. Mandrake 8.2 is not redhat 7.3.
                    Note that those packages were created by Mandrake for Mandrake's users.
                    They were not created by KDE for "linux users".

                    > KDE is a very complex architecture, so you could expect some difference in
                    > the way Mandrake and RH package it. Most of the RPMs are compatible
                    > between the two distros, though, so it's not all bad.
                    >
                    > > During the time RPM seems to me less and less tempting to use...
                    > >

                    > RPM is great, and you should try using it whenever possible. Just not for
                    > installing Mandrake KDE RPMs on RedHat...
                    >
                    > > I don't use packaging to challenge my sysadmin skills - every newbie can
                    > > make and make install, I'm using it to make life easier - for easy removal
                    > > and upgrading new software. Binding me to a single distro is not by any
                    > > means easier or nicer than tgz (!)

                    A setup.exe is also nice. But what happens when you want to uninstall it?

                    Or: you need to upgrade a certain library (because one of your programs
                    needs a more recent version) and you want to know which other programs
                    will be affected?

                    The "setup.exe" approach to that is either:

                    * ask you to install the required libraries yourself (not user-fiendly,
                    complicated)

                    * installs libraries in the "system directory": you run into a chance of
                    running over a different copy of that library

                    * installs all the libraries in the same location: terrible waste of disk
                    space and memory

                    Most programs take the latter approach: they rather waste resources than
                    not working at all. Linux distros try to do better.

                    When rpm spots an unresolved dependency all it can do is tell you it
                    cannot install/uninstall the packages.

                    However, if you have a program that knows from where to satisfy those
                    dependencies, it can suggest packages that supply you those dependencies.
                    Such systems are redhat's up2date, mandrake's urpmi, and apt (originally
                    from debian). THey rely on having a proper "package pool", as I have
                    mentioned before.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
                      On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Sagi Bashari wrote:

                      > + %make 'OPTIMIZE=-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686' PREFIX=/usr
                      > /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.6461: fg: no jobcontrol

                      Shlomi: it seems that you have used a mandrake-specific rpm macro.
                      ('%make'?)

                      The macro was not expanded by rpm, and therefore it was left as
                      '%{something}' , the shell interpeteted this as related to job-control,
                      but it is a non-interactive shell, and thus all it can do is spit this
                      error message.

                      IIRC there is a command-line argument top rpm equivalent to gcc -E (to
                      expand the macros in the spec file to the standard output. But anyway, you
                      can see the naem of the shell script it tried to execute in the error
                      message.

                      A good place to ask what macros are "safe" is probably the rpm mailing
                      list, see http://www.rpm.org/ .

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
                        On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Sagi Bashari wrote:

                        > You had a typo in the URL - it's LM-Solve and not solver, right?

                        Yes, my mistake.

                        > Anyway, I successfully built this package using rpm -tb.

                        Thanks for your help.

                        Home E-mail: shlomif@...

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
                          On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

                          > On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Sagi Bashari wrote:
                          >
                          > > + %make 'OPTIMIZE=-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686' PREFIX=/usr
                          > > /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.6461: fg: no jobcontrol
                          >
                          > Shlomi: it seems that you have used a mandrake-specific rpm macro.
                          > ('%make'?)

                          So I noticed. I fixed it in the version I referenced to Sagi.

                          > The macro was not expanded by rpm, and therefore it was left as
                          > '%{something}' , the shell interpeteted this as related to job-control,
                          > but it is a non-interactive shell, and thus all it can do is spit this
                          > error message.
                          >
                          > IIRC there is a command-line argument top rpm equivalent to gcc -E (to
                          > expand the macros in the spec file to the standard output. But anyway, you
                          > can see the naem of the shell script it tried to execute in the error
                          > message.
                          >
                          > A good place to ask what macros are "safe" is probably the rpm mailing
                          > list, see http://www.rpm.org/ .
                          >
                          > --
                          > Tzafrir Cohen
                          > mailto:tzafrir@...
                          > http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

                          Home E-mail: shlomif@...

                        • Sagi Bashari

                            > While we're at it: can you check that building LM-Solve as a RPM is
                            > working on your RedHat system?
                            >
                            > Grab:
                            >
                            > http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lm-solve/LM-Solve-0.5.4.tar.gz
                            >
                            > And type rpm -tb on it.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Shlomi Fish

                          • Sagi Bashari
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 28, 2002
                              You had a typo in the URL - it's LM-Solve and not solver, right?

                              Anyway, I successfully built this package using rpm -tb.

                              [sagi@domino noarch]$ rpm -qilp lm-solve-0.5.4-1.noarch.rpm
                              Name : lm-solve Relocations: /usr
                              Version : 0.5.4 Vendor: (none)
                              Release : 1 Build Date: Sun 28 Jul 2002
                              01:51:29 PM IDT
                              Install date: (not installed) Build Host:
                              domino.lan.boom.org.il
                              Group : Amusement/Games Source RPM:
                              lm-solve-0.5.4-1.src.rpm
                              Size : 69743 License: Public Domain
                              Description :
                              LM-Solve is a solver for various types of Logic Mazes as features on the
                              Logic Mazes site (http://www.logicmazes.com/). Currently it supports Alice
                              Mazes, Number Mazes, Plank Puzzles, Theseus and the Minotaur Mazes and
                              three type of Tilt Mazes (single goal, multiple goals and red-blue tilt
                              puzzles)
                              /usr/bin/lm-solve
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Alice.pm
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Base.pm
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Input.pm
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Minotaur.pm
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Numbers.pm
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Plank
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Plank/Base.pm
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Tilt
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Tilt/Base.pm
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Tilt/Multi.pm
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Tilt/RedBlue.pm
                              /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Shlomif/LMSolver/Tilt/Single.pm
                              /usr/share/doc/lm-solve-0.5.4
                              /usr/share/doc/lm-solve-0.5.4/COPYING
                              /usr/share/doc/lm-solve-0.5.4/INSTALL
                              /usr/share/doc/lm-solve-0.5.4/MANIFEST
                              /usr/share/doc/lm-solve-0.5.4/README
                              /usr/share/doc/lm-solve-0.5.4/TODO
                              /usr/share/man/man1/lm-solve.1.gz
                              [sagi@domino noarch]$

                              Sagi

                              From: "Shlomi Fish" <shlomif@...>

                              > Thanks!
                              >
                              > Please try this archive:
                              >
                              > http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lm-solve/rh/LM-Solver-0.5.4.tar.gz
                              >
                              > instead.
                              >
                              > Thanks in advance,
                              >
                              > Shlomi Fish
                              >
                              > On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Sagi Bashari wrote:
                              >

                              > > [sagi@domino tmp]$ rpm -tb LM-Solve-0.5.4.tar.gz
                              > > Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.62943
                              > > + umask 022
                              > > + cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
                              > > + cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
                              > > + rm -rf LM-Solve-0.5.4
                              > > + /bin/gzip -dc /tmp/LM-Solve-0.5.4.tar.gz
                              > > + tar -xf -
                              > > + STATUS=0
                              > > + '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
                              > > + cd LM-Solve-0.5.4
                              > > ++ /usr/bin/id -u
                              > > + '[' 500 = 0 ']'
                              > > ++ /usr/bin/id -u
                              > > + '[' 500 = 0 ']'
                              > > + /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,g-w,o-w .
                              > > + exit 0
                              > > Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.6461
                              > > + umask 022
                              > > + cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
                              > > + cd LM-Solve-0.5.4
                              > > + /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr
                              > > Checking if your kit is complete...
                              > > Looks good
                              > > Writing Makefile for Shlomif::LMSolver
                              > > + %make 'OPTIMIZE=-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686' PREFIX=/usr
                              > > /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.6461: fg: no job control
                              > > error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.6461 (%build)
                              > >

                              > > RPM build errors:
                              > > Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.6461 (%build)
                              > > [sagi@domino tmp]$
                              > >
                              > > [sagi@domino sagi]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
                              > > Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
                              > > [sagi@domino sagi]$ rpm -v
                              > > RPM version 4.0.4
                              > > Copyright (C) 1998-2000 - Red Hat, Inc.
                              > > This program may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU GPL
                              > >
                              > > Usage: rpm {--help}
                              > > rpm {--version}
                              > > [sagi@domino sagi]$
                              > >

                              > > Hope this helps.

                            • Diego Iastrubni
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 30, 2002
                                áéåí øàùåï, 28 áéåìé 2002, 13:49, Tzafrir Cohen ëúá:
                                > They are packaged for different systems. Mandrake 8.2 is not redhat 7.3.
                                > Note that those packages were created by Mandrake for Mandrake's users.
                                > They were not created by KDE for "linux users".
                                are you not speacking about license right? becuse it's not "legal" even
                                thinking of it...

                                Anyway, the webmin I have installed in from the original site, xmms I used to
                                upgrade from the original site as well (until I saw no reason to update and
                                kept the one that came with mkd-8.1). I even installed once a suse rpm and it
                                worked flawlesly (automake or autoconf... dont remember). All works
                                perfectly. I still fail to understand what are the _exact_ differecnces
                                between rh's kde and mdk's kde.

                                - diego
                                --
                                FORTUNE'S FUN FACTS TO KNOW AND TELL: #37
                                Can you name the seven seas?
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 31, 2002
                                  On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Diego Iastrubni wrote:

                                  > áéåí øàùåï, 28 áéåìé 2002, 13:49, Tzafrir Cohen ëúá:
                                  > > They are packaged for different systems. Mandrake 8.2 is not redhat 7.3.
                                  > > Note that those packages were created by Mandrake for Mandrake's users.
                                  > > They were not created by KDE for "linux users".
                                  >
                                  > are you not speacking about license right? becuse it's not "legal" even
                                  > thinking of it...

                                  No legal issue. Just practical issues f incompatibilities. Basically:
                                  those packages weer tested on a Mandrake system. If they happen to work on
                                  any other system, that's swell.

                                  Read down my post. I gave a specific example of incompatbility.

                                  > Anyway, the webmin I have installed in from the original site, xmms I used to
                                  > upgrade from the original site as well (until I saw no reason to update and
                                  > kept the one that came with mkd-8.1). I even installed once a suse rpm and it
                                  > worked flawlesly (automake or autoconf... dont remember). All works
                                  > perfectly. I still fail to understand what are the _exact_ differecnces
                                  > between rh's kde and mdk's kde.

                                  It may work. But it is never guaranteed.