637Re: [gnubies-il] KDE, Galeon & Hebrew

  • Nigel Ridley
    Mar 1 9:09 PM
      On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:02:14 +0200 (IST)
      Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Nigel Ridley wrote:
      >
      > > Why can I type Hebrew into forms/boxes in Galeon but not using any
      text> > editor or word processor in KDE? - I just get lots of ????????????
      instead> > of Hebrew letters (I have a Hebrew keyboard and have configured
      KDE> > [2.2.2] to use it - switching between the US and Israeli flags on
      the> > right of the KDE panel). Will KDE 3 support Hebrew better?

      > Do you have the same problem with mozilla?
      >
      > What versions of Galeon and of Mozilla do you have?
      >
      > Older versions of mozilla (<= 0.9.1 IIRC) had a similar problem. I'm not
      > sure if it should have affected galeon. I believe that forms and such
      are> not handled by gecko (the part of mozilla that galeon uses: the HTML
      > renderer)
      >
      > This also may be an issue of keyboard mapping that is layers that are
      > lower than KDE. See:
      >
      > http://www.iglu.org.il/faq/cache/85.html
      >
      > (the test with xev)
      >
      > --
      > Tzafrir Cohen
      > mailto:tzafrir@...
      > http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

      Sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer:
      Now that I can type Hebrew into Galeon (I'm not sure about Mozilla - and
      it doesn't really matter for me), I want to be able to type Hebrew into a
      text editor such as Kate or KWord but I just get the ?????????????
      everytime. The question is "how come it works in Galeon but not in Kate or
      KWord?"

      > This also may be an issue of keyboard mapping that is layers that are
      > lower than KDE. See:
      >
      > http://www.iglu.org.il/faq/cache/85.html
      >
      > (the test with xev)

      I read the above before I wrote to the list but if I can type Hebrew OK
      into Galeon then the keyboard mapping is OK - no?

      I am running Mandrake 8.1 with Galeon 1.0.2 - Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
      i686; en-US; rv:0.9.7) Gecko/20011221

      Nigel
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic