3400Re: [gnubies-il] Linux on laptop

  • Shimon Lebowitz
    Jan 11, 2011
      Actually, WINE is an acronym for
      W_ine I_s N_ot an E_mulator, because it allows Windows programs written
      for the underlying architecture to run natively. The only thing Wine does is catch
      the system calls and make the program "think" there is a Windows system providing

      Supposedly the original intention of the authors was that WINE would in fact mean
      WINdows Emulator, but that changed long ago.

      I use Wine myself, and am pretty happy with it, but you must be aware that it is definitely limited.
      In general, you will be better off using real Linux applications on a Linux system.
      I use Wine for a few things that I am semi-addicted to ;-) (I also installed DOSEMU
      and run a few DOS based apps!)

      On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:40 PM, kopolov@... <kopolov@...> wrote:

      I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 on my ThinkPad W500 and it works gr8.
      About running Windows apps on Ubuntu, you will need to install wine (short for "WINdows Emulator)
      You must understand however that wine does not mean all windows programs will necessary runs on it, or runs well.
      I don't know about laptop coming preinstalled with some Linux version, thought Dell used to sell Ubuntu based laptops till recently.

      Hope this helps,

      On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Yaakov <webdoar@...> wrote:

      Shalom; I'm totally new to this subject yet very inetersted.
      What type of linux OS is best for laptops? What addon(s) would one need to use Windows based programs inside Linux & would this mean a slowdown of functioning?

      What laptops are available with a linux OS already on it?

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic