3356Mounting problem - size difference and storage "black holes"

  • David
    Jun 27, 2009
    Dear gnubsilers, hello again.
    I need some advice, regarding a mount problem.

    I am using a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop - and it mostly functions greatly.
    I run an Ubuntu 8.10 (the latest as far as I know) with a 2.6.27-14-generic Kernel version (again, latest).

    The reason I mentioned having a laptop is the space issue. Having a laptop with only(?) 80 Gigs mean that storage is a critical issue.
    "Historically" this computer came with MS Shitsta installed on it.
    When I installed Ubuntu, I initially reserved a 10G partition not be touched by GParted. Can't remember why...

    Now I want this precious HD real-estate, accounting for some 15% of my total storage.

    So I went to GParted, and chose the "ext3" option on this partition /dev/sda2.
    I then updated my 'fstab' file accordingly adding the following line:
    /dev/sda2 /mnt/data ext3 defaults 0 2

    Following boots, it seems to work well. The problem I have is about a storage "black hole" regarding this partition.
    When the partition is mounted as ext3 (like now) df says it has 155M of occupied space.
    When I 'ls -l' the mount-point, there's nothing there.
    In the meanwhile, GParted says that the partition is over 320M occupied.
    Now I'm not petty - but 300M is some room for storage, and so are 150M; But most of all I'm buffeled.
    I'm uncertain as to what's going on.
    Further more, if I use GParted to format the partition to 'fat32', both df and GParted agree - that nothing is taken up - or so I understand.

    What's going on. What should I do?
    P.S. I ran fsck on this partition - it is OK.

    (I attached screen outputs showing this blackhole issue)
    דוד David
  • Show all 4 messages in this topic