3224Re: Cable Internet

  • perelmum
    Apr 19, 2007
      basically there are two types of cable connection in israel-- with or
      without a dialer. the latter works by an isp allocating a pool of ip
      addresses to the cable company, one of which you get via dhcp from the
      cable modem. this has the obvious advantage of zero configuration, but
      except for one isp the default setting is connection WITH a dialer and
      the one without has to be requested from the isp. some isps make quite
      a fuss of it though (they don't tell you this, but it is due do the
      fact that for this type of connection they need to permanently
      allocate 3 ip addresses for you which costs them a lot)-- in fact this
      is the case with all isps except for bezeq international (who have the
      dialer-less connection by default-- which is, as far as i know, due to
      a case that went to court).

      The dialer-less connection has the obvious disadvantage of inability
      to connect to multiple isps and that switching an isp will take longer .

      As about the connection with the dialer-- there are two types: l2tp
      and pptp. Basically when you get the cable modem (and your account
      hasn't been set to connect without a dialer), it gets some internal ip
      of 172.x.x.x from which you connect to an l2tp or pptp server of your
      isp. Every isp has both kinds of servers with an interface which can
      be reached through the internal cable network.

      As about connecting with linux to those-- you can grab this script
      from netvision and modify it for your isp:

      http://cables2.netvision.net.il/linux/

      another option is to buy a router that supports one of those
      protocols. i wouldn't recommend buying one outside of israel though,
      since even many of those routers which support pptp/l2tp have
      difficulties with the kind of pptp/l2tp they have in israel.

      yet another option is to connect through ADSL, which uses here the
      pretty standard PPPOE and PPPOA (and any modem that bezeq gives you
      those days can be configured as a router in addition to that). Now, as
      far as I gather, the opposite is true in the US, but based on my tech
      support experience technical problems with cables in israel are far
      more frequent on average.

      --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Shang <Geoff@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I realise it's bad form to jump on to a mailing list and post right
      away,
      > so I hope you'll forgive me.
      >
      > I'm actually not a LInux newbie, I've been using Linux for over 8
      years.
      > but I'm about to be a newbie to Israel - I'll be moving there with
      my wife
      > in just over a week.
      >
      > We've managed to land ourselves a good deal for cable Internet, and
      I've
      > been reading conflicting information about how it works. The howto at
      > http://tx.technion.ac.il/~eyalroz/linux_cable_pptp.html says that
      everyone
      > uses PPTP. The howto at http://iglu.org.il/amit/cable seems to
      indicate
      > that this was changing, and the IGLU FAQ says all you need is a DHCP
      client
      > and the cable modem. So which is it?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any help you can give. It's confusing trying
      to get
      > technical questions answered from the other side of the world when you
      > don't speak the language.
      >
      > Geoff.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic