2945Re: Typing in Hebrew?

  • Michael Sappir
    Aug 12, 2005
      --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@i...> wrote:
      > On Thursday 11 August 2005 19:13, Michael Sappir wrote:
      > > Hello. I just set up a little Ubuntu rig here, and I'm practically a
      > > complete newbie at Linux... I'm trying to figure out how to make it so
      > > I can type in Hebrew in general, and specifically in X-Chat.
      >
      > You need to consult:
      >
      > http://iglu.org.il/faq/cache/56.html
      >
      > Note that Ubuntu may have an easier way of doing these things, but I
      don't
      > know what it is. What is described in the FAQ is the most portable and
      > distro-independant way of doing it.
      >

      > > I also
      > > get that weird western-european gibberish instead of Hebrew when
      > > someone else writes in Hebrew on IRC... So I'd like to know how to
      > > sort that out.
      >
      > You probably need to set the character set in that specific network
      of X-Chat
      > to ISO-8859-8. To do that, either do:
      >
      > /charset iso-8859-8
      >
      > on the IRC command line. Or look at the Character Set entry box in the
      > network-editing dialog of X-Chat.

      Thanks, that solved it. I had to fish around a bit but it turned out
      all I needed for typing in Hebrew was already right there in Ubuntu
      (or perhaps even in GNOME in general, I dunno.)
      > > Also if you can reccommend a Hebrew font to use on
      > > Firefox I'd be much obliged, the default is ugly as hell.
      >
      > Try the Culmus fonts.
      >
      > http://culmus.sourceforge.net/

      I haven't tried the fonts yet but thank you anyways.
      > Hope it helps.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Shlomi Fish

      > Shlomi Fish shlomif@i...
      > Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/
      >
      > Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for
      closures
      > is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
      > paragraphs.

      Besides all that, could someone reccommend a general newbies' guide to
      Linux? I feel clueless half the time and a good guide to give me the
      basics might help with that.
      Thanks in advanced again.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic