282Re: [gnubies-il] dead x

    Jul 1, 2001
      One other thing...

      On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

      > On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 dgi_il@... wrote:
      >
      > > Hello all
      > >
      > > I am having a big problem: x does not load. I have attached the output of
      > > startx (as root). Here is the problem: xfs does not load. "/etc/init.d/xfs
      > > start" starts the xfs daemon but then it dies and does not delete it file
      > > from /var/run*somewhere*. I delete it by hand and run xfs by hand, and then
      > > x does not load neighter.
      >
      > The relevant lines of the log:
      >
      > _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
      > failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
      > Fatal server error:
      > could not open default font 'fixed'
      >
      > As you've said, X doesn't load because it cannot connect to the fonts
      > server, and the fonts server is its only source for fonts:

      If getting X up and running is a high priority, and you can't figure out
      what's wrong with xfs, then live without it for the moment.

      Add the following lines to XF86Config , after the existing FontPath line:

      FontPath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
      FontPath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
      FontPath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
      FontPath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
      FontPath /usr/share/fonts/truetype

      and whatever other font dirs that may be required. the "misc" one is
      really required, as it will supply you a font called "fixed", so your X
      server will be able to load.

      Alternatively, maybe even something like:

      startx -- -fontpath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc

      may be able to do the trick temporarily. But I haven't tried it.