2571Re: [gnubies-il] hard disk problems

  • Jason Friedman
    Jan 3, 2004
      Thanks Neil and Tzafrir for your suggestions.

      After trying all the possible kernel switches (none of them worked), I
      did a bit more googling and playing with some old kernels, I found that
      switching to kernel version 2.4.19 my problems go away (I found reports
      of other people with similar problems) .there was something introduced
      in the ide code in 2.4.20 that doesn't work with some old drives, there
      were some patches but I didn't want to recompile the kernel. hopefully
      reverting to an old kernel won't cause other problems.

      Jason

      >On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 12:51:57AM +0200, Jason Friedman wrote:
      >

      >>To recap my problem which i brought up last week:
      >>
      >>when booting with a newly installed hard disk, the kernel crashes when
      >>it reaches that hard disk after successfully recognizing the other hard
      >>disk and CD-RW.
      >>
      >>hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM1080A, ATA DISK drive
      >>hdb: HEwlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8100, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
      >>hdc: Maxtor 82187 A5, ATA DISK drive
      >>
      >>Part of the stack trace dumped is:
      >>
      >>ide_config_drive_speed [kernel]
      >>config_art_rwp_pio [kernel]
      >>ide_tune_drives [kernel]
      >>ideprobe_init [kernel]
      >>
      >>So i assume it is something to with the ide probing that is causing it
      >>to crash.
      >>If i run linux with hdc=noprobe, it doesn't crash, but i can't see the
      >>hard disk. so is there some way i can manually
      >>specify the hard disk type and parameters as kernel options?
      >>

      >see 'ide.txt' in the kernel documentation, e.g:
      >
      >http://www.iglu.org.il/lxr/source/Documentation/ide.txt

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic