2567Re: [gnubies-il] hard disk problems

  • Neil Magedman
    Jan 1, 2004
      I believe the top of the stack (i.e. the function that panicked) is
      ide_config_drive_speed, not ideprobe_init. Perhaps there's a way of
      manually configuring the drive speed via the LILO bootprompt. Look
      through ide.txt (to which Tzafrir referred) and play with the options
      that contain "speed" in the description.

      Shot in the dark: config_art_rwp_pio is the second function in the stack
      trace. Find out what that is. I saw in ide.txt the option
      hdx=cyls,heads,sects,wpcom,irq. I've no idea if the "wpcom" listed
      here is related to the "rwp" of the function, but it may be worth
      investigating.

      Also, pointing out the obvious: make sure the master/slave jumpers are
      set right. Does the BIOS recognize all drives on POST (bootup)?

      --Noach

      On Wednesday 31 December 2003 00:51, Jason Friedman wrote:
      > To recap my problem which i brought up last week:
      >
      > when booting with a newly installed hard disk, the kernel crashes
      > when it reaches that hard disk after successfully recognizing the
      > other hard disk and CD-RW.
      >
      > hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM1080A, ATA DISK drive
      > hdb: HEwlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8100, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
      > hdc: Maxtor 82187 A5, ATA DISK drive
      >
      > Part of the stack trace dumped is:
      >
      > ide_config_drive_speed [kernel]
      > config_art_rwp_pio [kernel]
      > ide_tune_drives [kernel]
      > ideprobe_init [kernel]
      >
      > So i assume it is something to with the ide probing that is causing
      > it to crash.
      > If i run linux with hdc=noprobe, it doesn't crash, but i can't see
      > the hard disk. so is there some way i can manually
      > specify the hard disk type and parameters as kernel options?

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic