2541Re: [gnubies-il] using Hebrew with icewm

  • Nigel Ridley
    Dec 13, 2003
      On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 13:30:15 +0200
      Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@...> wrote:

      > On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 07:59:34AM +0200, Nigel Ridley wrote:
      > > On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:59:51 +0200
      > > Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 08:35:12PM +0200, Nigel Ridley wrote:
      snip
      > > > Keyboard settings are handled by X. KDE only offers a interface
      > > > for configuring it. That interface often does more harm than use,
      > > > I might add.
      > > >
      > > > http://iglu.org.il/faq/cache/86.html
      > > >
      > > > If you need any more details: what is your distro?
      > >
      > > I am using Libranet 2.8 (Debian based) dist-upgraded using sarge
      > > this last week, with a few apps from sid (icewm is from sarge).
      > > XFree 4.3.0 but without xkb (not even in sid).
      >
      > What do you mean "without xkb"?

      Well according to http://iglu.org.il/faq/cache/86.html:
      "(Debian still doesn't have it, even not in unstable)"

      I did check in sid and sarge but couldn't find it; BUT, in checking
      /etc/X11 I found a dir for xkb. I then checked my XF86Config-4 and lo
      and behold I have the necessary entries.
      So, a quick edit and I now have a Hebrew keyboard with the press of alt
      shift (yes I know but my daughter is already used to it).

      Since I am running Libranet 2.8, and have xkb (I don't know about stock
      Debian) perhaps you could add that info to
      http://iglu.org.il/faq/cache/86.html.

      > > Is xkb necessary or can I follow the instructions
      > > (from http://iglu.org.il/faq/cache/86.html) for XFree 4.0 -- 4.21?
      >
      > You have XFree 4.3, and thus you should use the first section (XFree
      > 4.3).

      Yes I do and sorted xkb out (see above).

      > --
      > Tzafrir Cohen +---------------------------+
      > http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir/ |vim is a mutt's best friend|
      > mailto:tzafrir@... +---------------------------+

      snip

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Thanks for the help and encouragement :-)

      Blessings,

      Nigel

      --
      It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
      --

      I AM Bible Studies and Resources
      http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

      Messianic E-Cards.com