2063Re: [gnubies-il] HD

    Feb 3, 2003
      On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Gil Katz wrote:

      > On Monday 03 February 2003 20:23, Amir Tal wrote:
      > > On Monday 03 February 2003 18:24, JimRR wrote:
      > > > Gil,

      [snip]

      (please don't quote unnecessary stuff. Like Yahoo promotions)

      > what if when using HardDrake i moved home to the new HD?
      > how can i move it back?

      What do you mean?

      Have you assigned "/home" to a new partition you have created in HardDrake
      ?
      (And now you can't see the original partition)?

      When you mount a partition on a mount point, it hides the content of the
      mount point (which is a directory. So if you added a new mount point , the
      original content of that directory is not avaialble.

      What you need to do:

      * Log out of your original user. Nobody should use any file in /home
      * press ctrl-alt-F1 to get to a console. Login as root
      * Run the following commands:

      umount /home

      If you have an error here: don't continue. If you get an error about
      something "busy": chances are some process uses a file in /home and it is
      impossibl to unmount it at-the-moment.

      Now you should have the original content of /home available. To verify
      that, run:

      ls -l /home

      next: move the original content to a different directory:

      mv /home /home_orig

      No, remount the new partition on /home. But first re-create a mount point
      for it:

      mkdir /home
      mount /home

      And now copy all the files from the original directory to the new one:

      cp -a /home_orig/* /home

      By now you should have the original content of /home availble. You can
      remove /home_orig later