ARM CPU Stress Test

  • Ahmed
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009
      Does anyone know of a good (and free) tool for stress testing ARM processors? Preferably this would be big calculations that will keep the processor near 100% use for a long time to test power use during heavy load?

      Thanks!
    • tom
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11, 2009
        Ahmed wrote:

        Does anyone know of a good (and free) tool for stress testing ARM processors? Preferably this would be big calculations that will keep the processor near 100% use for a long time to test power use during heavy load?

        Compile the Linux kernel?  ;-)

        TomW

        http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org

      • Stephan Rose
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 11, 2009
          On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 12:43 -0400, tom wrote:
          > Ahmed wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone know of a good (and free) tool for stress testing ARM
          > > processors? Preferably this would be big calculations that will keep
          > > the processor near 100% use for a long time to test power use during
          > > heavy load?
          > >

          > Compile the Linux kernel? ;-)

          Just install Vista, that should stress any hardware known to mankind. :)

          Stephan
        • SHRIRAM R SAMPAT
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 11, 2009
            Have a look at stresslinux. Probably you can use compile one of the tools in this distro for ARM, if not available already ;)

            On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 12:43 -0400, tom wrote:
            > Ahmed wrote:
            > >
            > > Does anyone know of a good (and free) tool for stress testing ARM
            > > processors? Preferably this would be big calculations that will keep
            > > the processor near 100% use for a long time to test power use during
            > > heavy load?
            > >

            > Compile the Linux kernel? ;-)

            Just install Vista, that should stress any hardware known to mankind. :)

            Stephan

          • Dave McGuire
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 11, 2009
              On Mar 11, 2009, at 1:01 PM, Stephan Rose wrote:
              >>> Does anyone know of a good (and free) tool for stress testing ARM
              >>> processors? Preferably this would be big calculations that will keep
              >>> the processor near 100% use for a long time to test power use during
              >>> heavy load?
              >>> Compile the Linux kernel? ;-)
              >
              > Just install Vista, that should stress any hardware known to
              > mankind. :)

              ...and yet, some people continue to use that garbage...

              -Dave

              --
              Dave McGuire
              Port Charlotte, FL
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11, 2009
                The ARM CPUs have many, many built-in peripherals.

                Running the processor by itself is not much, the USB takes 2 clocks and really eats up the watts.  Add SPI, RS232, and don't forget that the sum of all the PIO pins sourcing has a limit.

                So test something realistic, anyway.

                *E

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 12, 2009
                  Dave McGuire wrote:

                  On Mar 11, 2009, at 1:01 PM, Stephan Rose wrote:
                  >>> Does anyone know of a good (and free) tool for stress testing ARM
                  >>> processors? Preferably this would be big calculations that will keep
                  >>> the processor near 100% use for a long time to test power use during
                  >>> heavy load?
                  >>> Compile the Linux kernel? ;-)
                  >
                  > Just install Vista, that should stress any hardware known to
                  > mankind. :)

                  ...and yet, some people continue to use that garbage...

                  No choice, a friend was looking for a new notebook and all she could find were ones with Vista pre-installed and no option for winXP.

                  TomW

                  -Dave

                  --
                  Dave McGuire
                  Port Charlotte, FL

                  http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org

                • rtstofer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 12, 2009
                    --- In gnuarm@yahoogroups.com, tom <tom@...> wrote:

                    > No choice, a friend was looking for a new notebook and all she could
                    > find were ones with Vista pre-installed and no option for winXP.
                    >
                    > TomW

                    I was notified by Logic Supply that WinXP was at end-of-life and that if I wanted to buy more licenses to do it soon. This was a couple of months ago.

                    I bought a couple of Dell Precision M6300 Mobile Workstations early last year and I was able to get them with WinXP. The M6400 (and others) are still available that way but as "Downgrade Rights Service to Windows XP Professional". MANY Dell machines are available with that option.

                    I have not upgraded to Vista and don't plan to. Win XP is just fine.

                    Richard