5152new effort, was Re: [gnuarm] Re: Project Status

  • redsp
    Mar 24, 2012
      --- In gnuarm@yahoogroups.com, "rtstofer" <rstofer@...> wrote:

      > --- In gnuarm@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@> wrote:
      >
      > > I had not originally intended to release this to the public, as it
      > > was done for my own use, but seeing the sorry state of all the
      > > toolchains out there (most of which look like they were put together by
      > > embedded systems/hardware guys as an afterthought, not by a software guy
      > > on a mission...I'm lucky to be both!), and the falling into
      > > dismaintenance of the (otherwise decent) GNUARM distribution, perhaps
      > > it's time for me to consider releasing it.
      > >
      > > -Dave
      >

      > Indeed, it is time!
      >
      > I have built the GNUARM distribution several times and the instructions work very well. But it's just for the arm-elf configuration.
      >
      > Over at OpenHardware.net, Tom Walsh has a pretty decent set of scripts for building an ARM toolchain:
      >
      > http://openhardware.net/Embedded_ARM/Toolchain/
      >
      > The part I never understood is his comment on the library being Thumb and not pure ARM32. I don't know that I care but given a choice, I would pick pure ARM32.
      >
      > Richard

      I think that many of the newer low end Cortex devices do not run ARM32 instructions, but only Thumb along with Thumb2 instructions. That was the intent of the Thumb2 instructions, to do away with the ARM32 instruction codings and provide the same functionality in a better binary coding.

      In the older devices which had both ARM32 and Thumb mode instructions there was a awkward switchover any time you had an interrupt because interrupts required a switch to ARM32 mode.

      Rick
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic