Re: Programming OTP on MC68HC705

  • imajeff
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2013
      Aaa, no way to edit a post? I forgot how much this yahoo groups stinks.
      It is B16N, not N16N!

      --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, "imajeff" <imajeff84663@...> wrote:

      > I'm wondering if anyone still sells a device for this (one-time-programming the MC68HC705N16N)
      [...]
    • wayen_cwwong
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
        Hello,

        as long as I could recall my memory, HC705 should be EPROM device.
        External EEPROM or SRAM with connection to decoded address lines and up running on boot code, the HC05 will copy those external memory to internal EPROM cells, that was design to work in that era.

        the other solution may be try to reach Freescale for support because you may see a chance for direct opcode upgrade to HC08, if it does, it is a lot easy to burn s19 today. hope this help.

        good luck.
        xiao.

        --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, "imajeff" <imajeff84663@...> wrote:

        > I'm wondering if anyone still sells a device for this (one-time-programming the MC68HC705N16N). The closest I've found,
        > http://www.xprog-m.com/
        > http://obdfactory.com/html_products/HC705HC05-Programmer-354.html
        >
        > will program the EEPROM but seem incapable of programming the OTP ROM for a production environment. The second one I never even got to initialize properly. Freescale has note AN499 showing hardware/software I would need (they called PRITSE for PRogram-IT-SElf), but I hope I could find a board already made.
        >
        > I'm doing this for an old employer; They need a simple setup for loading the ROM in production environment. It is harder than I imagined to find a simple serial programmer for it any more.
        >
        > They have a universal programmer which costs way too much for the simple job, it's hard to manage, and often fails because of complexity, hence the need for a simpler programmer.

      • imajeff
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
          Hi, thanks for your reply.
          I hoped somebody has a spare programmer of that type (puts the chip in bootloader mode, provides Vpp, and lets me load to the EPROM over the SCI port). I could design anything I'm asking about or even a better version, but the company needing this doesn't want to pay too much.

          It is also difficult to find a program to run on the PC side (DOS or other). The company lost their copy of PRO7B16N.EXE so it would help a great deal if somebody could get me a copy.
          Actually I just found "PGMR_5" off the internet: A utility that claims to do the same thing. Hope it works.

          --jeff