Re: New S12ZV family

  • alexu
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2013
      --- "jsmcortina" wrote:

      > I noticed on Freescale's site that there's a new 16bit family S12ZV
      > ("S12 MagniV")
      > http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?code=S12MAGNIVMCU

      > To be honest, I'm not quite sure I understand Freescale's logic in creating
      > an incompatible 4th generation HC11/S12 product. They already have a couple
      > of good 32bit processor cores in their lineup, so why not use one of those
      > instead?

      My guess is it's because this new family is targeted at automotive body
      electronics and the S12 family is already extensively used for automotive
      body electronics. This means the sub-systems are already heavily tested and
      certified for automotive use; all they need to certify is the new CPU core.
      And for the end customer the peripherals are compatible with existing
      software, making migration easier.

      If you tell the customer to throw everything out and start over, they might
      just start over with something from someone else...

      That's my $0.02.

      Alex
    • imajeff
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2013
        Since Freescale has something like CodeWarrior development environment they can easily support the S12ZV. They are really not concerned about GCC. Supporting new MCU with GCC would be our job as independent developers.

        For what it's worth, GCC had a hard time using HC11/HC12 because they have so few registers. Adding registers might make it easier.

        --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, "jsmcortina" <jsm@...> wrote:

        > I noticed on Freescale's site that there's a new 16bit family S12ZV
        > ("S12 MagniV")
        > http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?code=S12MAGNIVMCU
        [...]