New S12ZV family

  • jsmcortina
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2013
      I noticed on Freescale's site that there's a new 16bit family S12ZV
      ("S12 MagniV")
      http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?code=S12MAGNIVMCU

      The processor datasheet is http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/ref_manual/S12ZCPU_RM_V1.pdf?fsrch=1&sr=3

      This device is interesting as it replaces the PPAGE/RPAGE/EPAGE/GPAGE banked model with 24bit linear address space. It also adds many new registers which ought to enable faster operation.
      Unfortunately, it omits the XGATE which remains exclusive to the S12X family.

      However, all of those changes mean that the CPU is incompatible with gcc and binutils. It looks like it would be a large task to extend them to support the new chip.

      To be honest, I'm not quite sure I understand Freescale's logic in creating an incompatible 4th generation HC11/S12 product. They already have a couple of good 32bit processor cores in their lineup, so why not use one of those instead?

      James
    • alexu
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2013
        --- "jsmcortina" wrote:

        > I noticed on Freescale's site that there's a new 16bit family S12ZV
        > ("S12 MagniV")
        > http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?code=S12MAGNIVMCU

        > To be honest, I'm not quite sure I understand Freescale's logic in creating
        > an incompatible 4th generation HC11/S12 product. They already have a couple
        > of good 32bit processor cores in their lineup, so why not use one of those
        > instead?

        My guess is it's because this new family is targeted at automotive body
        electronics and the S12 family is already extensively used for automotive
        body electronics. This means the sub-systems are already heavily tested and
        certified for automotive use; all they need to certify is the new CPU core.
        And for the end customer the peripherals are compatible with existing
        software, making migration easier.

        If you tell the customer to throw everything out and start over, they might
        just start over with something from someone else...

        That's my $0.02.

        Alex
      • imajeff
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2013
          Since Freescale has something like CodeWarrior development environment they can easily support the S12ZV. They are really not concerned about GCC. Supporting new MCU with GCC would be our job as independent developers.

          For what it's worth, GCC had a hard time using HC11/HC12 because they have so few registers. Adding registers might make it easier.

          --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, "jsmcortina" <jsm@...> wrote:

          > I noticed on Freescale's site that there's a new 16bit family S12ZV
          > ("S12 MagniV")
          > http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?code=S12MAGNIVMCU
          [...]