Re: hc11 srec boot loader, in asm

  • Mike McCarty
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23, 2011
      flameman mayer wrote:
      > hi
      > anybody with an srec loader, written in assembly and pretty usable in serial
      > bootstrap modo on hc11 ?

      I think you mean "special bootstrap". It's easier to write the
      comm package which sends the image also to be able to read
      S-records and do the translation, rather than do the translation
      at the receiving end, so that's the way it's usually done.

      Mike
      You have found the bank of Larn.
    • flameman mayer
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23, 2011
        I think you mean "special bootstrap". It's easier to write the
        comm package which sends the image also to be able to read
        S-records and do the translation, rather than do the translation
        at the receiving end, so that's the way it's usually done.

        yes, special (serial) bootstrap mode
        it is easy, but it is not written yet =P
        also, hc11 can only accomodate 256-10 byte in ram
        so this peace of code MUST be as short as possible
      • Mike McCarty
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 24, 2011
          flameman mayer wrote:
          > yes, special (serial) bootstrap mode
          > it is easy, but it is not written yet =P
          > also, hc11 can only accomodate 256-10 byte in ram
          > so this peace of code MUST be as short as possible

          Let me restate my point, perhaps more clearly. It is not a good
          idea to try to download a program which can translate S-records.
          It is better to make the program on the host do the translation.

          You have to have a program on the host which can send bytes
          anyway. It's better to have that program do the translation.

          It is not good to have a program running on the '11 do the
          translation. The program will consume too much memory.

          So, read the S-records on the host, translate them, then send the
          translated bytes to the '11.

          Mac
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 24, 2011
            mc68328 has a pretty ROM firmware with a pretty hrec loader
            hrec is similar to srec (hrec is missing the checksum, and has ONLY 32bit packet address)

            that means you powerup your 328 chip, you force it into serial bootstrap mode, and you could easily put all the hrec lines over the serial line: the 328-firmware will translate and allocate bytes at the right address you have specified in the hreec.address field

            data packet after data packet, the whole file

            so: motorola thinks it's pretty, and i think so

            anyway, i ve coded the hrec bootloader as first stage bootloader for my hc11, it re-initialize the serial line at faster baud rate, than waits for hrec data packets allocating in memory. On the host side there is a simple (hrec)file-to-uart.

            since the day i've asked here i've already coded that hc11-bootload, so now i am  just wandering if there is something better (already coded, and tested) around

            regards

            On 24 March 2011 08:58, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@...> wrote:

            flameman mayer wrote:
            > yes, special (serial) bootstrap mode
            > it is easy, but it is not written yet =P
            > also, hc11 can only accomodate 256-10 byte in ram
            > so this peace of code MUST be as short as possible

            Let me restate my point, perhaps more clearly. It is not a good
            idea to try to download a program which can translate S-records.
            It is better to make the program on the host do the translation.

            You have to have a program on the host which can send bytes
            anyway. It's better to have that program do the translation.

            It is not good to have a program running on the '11 do the
            translation. The program will consume too much memory.

            So, read the S-records on the host, translate them, then send the
            translated bytes to the '11.

            Mac

            You have found the bank of Larn.

          • triffid_hunter
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 13, 2011
              --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, flameman mayer <flamemaniii@...> wrote:

              > hi
              > anybody with an srec loader, written in assembly and pretty usable in serial
              > bootstrap modo on hc11?

              Not sure if you're still looking for this, but I wrote one years ago; it can be grabbed from http://hc11-ide.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hc11-ide/newbrain/talker/s19_interpreter_bootstrap.s?revision=36&content-type=text%2Fplain and the rest of the dependencies and makefiles and linker scripts I used with it can be found in the associated svn repository at http://hc11-ide.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hc11-ide/newbrain/

              It not only accepts SREC over serial, but can also relocate itself to external SRAM
            • flameman mayer
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
                hi
                thank you a lot =)
                it's great

                are you still working around hc11 ?
                let me know
                regards

                On 13 December 2011 20:26, triffid_hunter <triffid.hunter@...> wrote:

                --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, flameman mayer <flamemaniii@...> wrote:

                > hi
                > anybody with an srec loader, written in assembly and pretty usable in serial
                > bootstrap modo on hc11?

                Not sure if you're still looking for this, but I wrote one years ago; it can be grabbed from http://hc11-ide.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hc11-ide/newbrain/talker/s19_interpreter_bootstrap.s?revision=36&content-type=text%2Fplain and the rest of the dependencies and makefiles and linker scripts I used with it can be found in the associated svn repository at http://hc11-ide.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hc11-ide/newbrain/

                It not only accepts SREC over serial, but can also relocate itself to external SRAM

              • Triffid Hunter
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
                  On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM, flameman mayer <flamemaniii@...> wrote:

                  hi
                  thank you a lot =)
                  it's great

                  are you still working around hc11 ?
                  let me know

                  no, I discovered AVR and cortex-m3, hc11 is a dinosaur.

                  I learned a lot of valuable lessons from it, and then it was time to move on