hc11 srec boot loader, in asm

  • flameman mayer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2011
      hi
      anybody with an srec loader, written in assembly and pretty usable in serial bootstrap modo on hc11 ?

      regards
    • Mike McCarty
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23, 2011
        flameman mayer wrote:
        > hi
        > anybody with an srec loader, written in assembly and pretty usable in serial
        > bootstrap modo on hc11 ?

        I think you mean "special bootstrap". It's easier to write the
        comm package which sends the image also to be able to read
        S-records and do the translation, rather than do the translation
        at the receiving end, so that's the way it's usually done.

        Mike
        You have found the bank of Larn.
      • flameman mayer
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 23, 2011
          I think you mean "special bootstrap". It's easier to write the
          comm package which sends the image also to be able to read
          S-records and do the translation, rather than do the translation
          at the receiving end, so that's the way it's usually done.

          yes, special (serial) bootstrap mode
          it is easy, but it is not written yet =P
          also, hc11 can only accomodate 256-10 byte in ram
          so this peace of code MUST be as short as possible
        • Mike McCarty
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 24, 2011
            flameman mayer wrote:
            > yes, special (serial) bootstrap mode
            > it is easy, but it is not written yet =P
            > also, hc11 can only accomodate 256-10 byte in ram
            > so this peace of code MUST be as short as possible

            Let me restate my point, perhaps more clearly. It is not a good
            idea to try to download a program which can translate S-records.
            It is better to make the program on the host do the translation.

            You have to have a program on the host which can send bytes
            anyway. It's better to have that program do the translation.

            It is not good to have a program running on the '11 do the
            translation. The program will consume too much memory.

            So, read the S-records on the host, translate them, then send the
            translated bytes to the '11.

            Mac
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 24, 2011
              mc68328 has a pretty ROM firmware with a pretty hrec loader
              hrec is similar to srec (hrec is missing the checksum, and has ONLY 32bit packet address)

              that means you powerup your 328 chip, you force it into serial bootstrap mode, and you could easily put all the hrec lines over the serial line: the 328-firmware will translate and allocate bytes at the right address you have specified in the hreec.address field

              data packet after data packet, the whole file

              so: motorola thinks it's pretty, and i think so

              anyway, i ve coded the hrec bootloader as first stage bootloader for my hc11, it re-initialize the serial line at faster baud rate, than waits for hrec data packets allocating in memory. On the host side there is a simple (hrec)file-to-uart.

              since the day i've asked here i've already coded that hc11-bootload, so now i am  just wandering if there is something better (already coded, and tested) around

              regards

              On 24 March 2011 08:58, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@...> wrote:

              flameman mayer wrote:
              > yes, special (serial) bootstrap mode
              > it is easy, but it is not written yet =P
              > also, hc11 can only accomodate 256-10 byte in ram
              > so this peace of code MUST be as short as possible

              Let me restate my point, perhaps more clearly. It is not a good
              idea to try to download a program which can translate S-records.
              It is better to make the program on the host do the translation.

              You have to have a program on the host which can send bytes
              anyway. It's better to have that program do the translation.

              It is not good to have a program running on the '11 do the
              translation. The program will consume too much memory.

              So, read the S-records on the host, translate them, then send the
              translated bytes to the '11.

              Mac

              You have found the bank of Larn.

            • triffid_hunter
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 13, 2011
                --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, flameman mayer <flamemaniii@...> wrote:

                > hi
                > anybody with an srec loader, written in assembly and pretty usable in serial
                > bootstrap modo on hc11?

                Not sure if you're still looking for this, but I wrote one years ago; it can be grabbed from http://hc11-ide.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hc11-ide/newbrain/talker/s19_interpreter_bootstrap.s?revision=36&content-type=text%2Fplain and the rest of the dependencies and makefiles and linker scripts I used with it can be found in the associated svn repository at http://hc11-ide.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hc11-ide/newbrain/

                It not only accepts SREC over serial, but can also relocate itself to external SRAM
              • flameman mayer
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
                  hi
                  thank you a lot =)
                  it's great

                  are you still working around hc11 ?
                  let me know
                  regards

                  On 13 December 2011 20:26, triffid_hunter <triffid.hunter@...> wrote:

                  --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, flameman mayer <flamemaniii@...> wrote:

                  > hi
                  > anybody with an srec loader, written in assembly and pretty usable in serial
                  > bootstrap modo on hc11?

                  Not sure if you're still looking for this, but I wrote one years ago; it can be grabbed from http://hc11-ide.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hc11-ide/newbrain/talker/s19_interpreter_bootstrap.s?revision=36&content-type=text%2Fplain and the rest of the dependencies and makefiles and linker scripts I used with it can be found in the associated svn repository at http://hc11-ide.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hc11-ide/newbrain/

                  It not only accepts SREC over serial, but can also relocate itself to external SRAM

                • Triffid Hunter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
                    On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM, flameman mayer <flamemaniii@...> wrote:

                    hi
                    thank you a lot =)
                    it's great

                    are you still working around hc11 ?
                    let me know

                    no, I discovered AVR and cortex-m3, hc11 is a dinosaur.

                    I learned a lot of valuable lessons from it, and then it was time to move on