Re: Programming / Debugging the HCS12 in Linux

  • alexu
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
      --- Robert Moore wrote:

      > Is there drivers out there to program a HCS12 using the USB-ML-12 on Linux?
      To my knowledge, P&E does not support Linux at all. My understanding is that
      access to the P&E interface spec requires a NDA.

      > If not then does anyone have any recommendations for what else I can use
      > that doesn't cost too much / has software that works with Linux / GNU?
      If you're willing to take on another project as part of your project, the
      Open Source TBDML pod has an open interface spec which would then allow you
      to write your own driver for it.

      You could also try running CodeWarrior (or more specifically HiWave) under
      Wine.

      Alex.
    • Mike McCarty
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
        alexu wrote:
        > --- Robert Moore wrote:
        >> Is there drivers out there to program a HCS12 using the USB-ML-12 on Linux?
        > To my knowledge, P&E does not support Linux at all. My understanding is that
        > access to the P&E interface spec requires a NDA.

        Those two are not incompatible. I use a few packages on my
        system which are like that, and I use Linux. What has to happen
        in a case like that is the same thing that happens with
        Windows (or other OS); the company supplies a binary executable,
        which the user simply "trusts". So, not supporting Linux is
        an economic choice the company has made.

        >> If not then does anyone have any recommendations for what else I can use
        >> that doesn't cost too much / has software that works with Linux / GNU?
        > If you're willing to take on another project as part of your project, the
        > Open Source TBDML pod has an open interface spec which would then allow you
        > to write your own driver for it.
        >
        > You could also try running CodeWarrior (or more specifically HiWave) under
        > Wine.

        This is good advice. Any of the "Windows" executables might work,
        not just CodeWarrior.

        Mike
        You have found the bank of Larn.
      • James Murray
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2009
          A year or two back a friend of mine wrote a Linux driver for the P&E USB module to talk to the HCS12 and use Insight.
          I've not actually got around to trying it out.

          He would probably release the source if anyone is interested.

          James