Newbie

  • jghandi81
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2007
      Hello all,

      I'm new to the 68hc11 and have a CME11E9-EVBU from axiom.

      I don't want to work in assembly(no experience) but am having a realy
      hard time getting the gnu tools to work with my board.

      Does anyone know of some clear documentation for using this board with
      gnu.

      in particualr I'm wondering how the makefile and memory.x file s
      should be configured.

      The board is running in expanded mode with the buffalo debuger

      If anyone has a working project for this board and would like to share
      I'd appreciate it.

      Thanks in advance
    • Triffid Hunter
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2007
        On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, jghandi81 wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I'm new to the 68hc11 and have a CME11E9-EVBU from axiom.
        >
        > I don't want to work in assembly(no experience) but am having a realy
        > hard time getting the gnu tools to work with my board.
        >
        > Does anyone know of some clear documentation for using this board with
        > gnu.
        >
        > in particualr I'm wondering how the makefile and memory.x file s
        > should be configured.
        >
        > The board is running in expanded mode with the buffalo debuger
        >
        > If anyone has a working project for this board and would like to share
        > I'd appreciate it.
        >
        > Thanks in advance

        You'll need at least the memory map and startup mode for the board.

        I don't have one of those boards, but I do have a handyboard with which
        I've done a LOT of playing with the 68hc11 gnu toolchain.

        Here is the memory.x for my handyboard (68hc11A0 32k sram from
        0x8000-0xFFFF, no flash, no eeprom):
        http://hc11-ide.funkmunch.net/bart-v3/handyboard.x

        I've chopped it into separate sections for kernel, library and userspace
        so it'll be easy to shift things around when I add some banked memory. You
        won't need to do this.

        In http://hc11-ide.funkmunch.net/bart-v3/kernel.x you can see how I've
        directed various sections to different areas of the memory. You'll
        probably want to put text and rodata in flash/eeprom, softregs into zero
        page ram and data into either zero page or external ram, using the memory
        map for your board to get addresses. Note that it's possible to specify
        different load and run addresses for data that's copied from flash/eeprom
        to ram before use.

        http://hc11-ide.funkmunch.net/bart-v3/Makefile and
        http://hc11-ide.funkmunch.net/bart-v3/kernel/Makefile are a couple of the
        makefiles I use to compile code for my robot. The latter uses constants
        and variables from the former, so add include statements or something if
        you don't want to call one from the other.

        You may also be interested in some of the perl scripts and other files in
        the bart-v3/ directory on my site, such as
        http://hc11-ide.funkmunch.net/bart-v3/include/handyboard.h and
        http://hc11-ide.funkmunch.net/bart-v3/talker.pl

        Google knows of heaps of sites sporting various amounts of information on
        the 68hc11 series chips if you don't like how I've set mine up.
      • Jeff Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
          --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, "jghandi81" <jghandi81@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I'm new to the 68hc11 and have a CME11E9-EVBU from axiom.

          Hi, I've got good experience with gnu but not on HC11 (I only did
          assembly with that)...

          > I don't want to work in assembly(no experience) but am having a realy
          > hard time getting the gnu tools to work with my board.
          >
          > Does anyone know of some clear documentation for using this board with
          > gnu.

          The big problem I see is that you have no Assembly experience. The C
          is built upon, and would not even exist without Asm. Don't worry,
          maybe by working with GCC on embedded, you'll learn Asm without
          realizing it ;-)

          > in particualr I'm wondering how the makefile and memory.x file s
          > should be configured.
          >
          > The board is running in expanded mode with the buffalo debuger
          >
          > If anyone has a working project for this board and would like to share
          > I'd appreciate it.
          >
          > Thanks in advance

          OK, it looks like the GEL example has "config/m68hc11-cme11/" folder
          with the general config. You just have to make sure those addresses
          are right (as triffid says).

          The hard part, I think, is figuring out how to think like GCC, knowing
          how include-paths tell what files are used, and stuff. Hopefully you
          keep reading these pages because it helps me alot:
          http://m68hc11.serveftp.org/doc/
          http://m68hc11.serveftp.org/wiki/