Re: gcc XGATE ?

  • Jefferson Smith
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2005
      --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, Tom Burrell <tburrell@s...> wrote:

      > I will allocate about 2 days a week to it. I think it just needs
      > a back
      > end. I have no idea what this takes. After doing a GDB, I would guess
      > it is not easy. I haven't got a lot of help from people. They seem to
      > have a little clique and outsiders didn't seem very welcome in their
      > sand box.
      >
      > Do you know anyone?

      I've got a softec kit that I won from the Freegeeks contest. It comes
      with a licensed CodeWarrior. It's a prerelease sort of evaluation
      version so I don't know what limitations I have. Also, currently only
      My Linux machine is powerful enough, so I might have trouble getting
      CW going.

      Unfortunately I haven't been good at managing my time, so I might end
      up spending more time than I have on this "gcc-xgate" stuff :) It
      really interrests me.

      I think the debugging of XGate will be the hardest part. I think we
      should be able to add the XGate support to the existing port of the
      current GNU-As port.

      As for the "clique" part, where are you saying these people are? I
      have just seen that people are either dedicated to their own business,
      or have no knowlege of XGate. Even I haven't seen it actually function
      yet, and I've got the dev kit! --jeffs
    • Kim Lux
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 1, 2005
        I don't think that version of the compiler will generate any XGATE code.
        There is a blurb about having to contact CodeWarrior to enable
        additional features. I am pretty sure that enabling those features
        won't be free.

        --
        Kim Lux, Diesel Research Inc.
      • Jefferson Smith
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 1, 2005
          --- In gnu-m68hc11@yahoogroups.com, Kim Lux <lux@d...> wrote:

          > I don't think that version of the compiler will generate any XGATE code.
          > There is a blurb about having to contact CodeWarrior to enable
          > additional features. I am pretty sure that enabling those features
          > won't be free.

          All the more reason to upgrade GCC ;-)

          I always say, those who like to think, sure have a lot of fun doing
          it. So for those who don't like to think, hope they have fun spending
          lots of money. --jeffs
        • Tom Burrell
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 1, 2005
            Thinking is hard work, anyone who says different is probably not doing
            it right.

            --
            Tom Burrell <tburrell@...>
            Southwest Microwave
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 1, 2005
              Unless your goverment or some big company, you probably can't afford this..  So well see..
              If some gets going on this and needs help.. I got some free time on my hands :-)

              ( I actualy have a copy of codeware for HCS12 but don't use it.. )

              The other project I have on the plate is figuring out how to make the P&E's USB BDM cable work in linux. If anyone has any clues on how to go about this let me know!!
              Untill then its hack and slash..

              On 10/31/05, Tom Burrell <tburrell@...> wrote:
              The donothing stuff was just under $2000, the pro is $5000+

              --
              Tom Burrell <tburrell@...>
              Southwest Microwave

              Gnu snowboards 68hc11 68hc12
              Gnu

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              --
              Peter Fetterer
              KB3GTN

              The force is like duct tape.
              It has a light side and a darkside
              and binds the universe together.
            • Kim Lux
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 1, 2005
                On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 17:39 +0000, Pete wrote:
                > If some gets going on this and needs help.. I got some free time on my
                > hands :-)

                We can use all the help available. Please email me directly.

                --
                Kim Lux, Diesel Research Inc.
              • Pete
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 1, 2005
                  I can put up some time, hasn't been very busy around here..
                  I may not have any S12X stuff for a bit though..

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 1, 2005
                    You won't need S12X hardware for a while.

                    First step is to get gas generating XGATE machine code, then we will
                    move onto gcc for XGATE.

                    Has anyone here ever ported gas to a new target ?

                    Kim Lux, Diesel Research Inc.