[gnu-m68hc11] Re: bootstrapping EVB target board

  • Stephane Carrez
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
      Hello!

      Wayne Westerman wrote:

      > Well, we won't be able to use it for our class labs
      > without the remote debug, but we can delay the switchover
      > until remote debug is available. Let me know if there
      > is anything my students or I can do to help with your
      > gdbserver (without becoming gdb experts--I understand it
      > is a very large program). How will your memory read/write
      > calls access the HC11 register set? I guess you're sure the
      > gdbserver couldn't just as easily be cut down to fit in a
      > monitor PROM?

      In fact you don't need specific functions to read/write the registers.

      The remote debug agent is running. So it has saved the program registers
      in memory. All we have to do is read/write the memory at the good address.

      We also don't need to perform some 'jump/go' but only the 'continue' (ie,
      leave debug
      agent). For the same reason, on the host we can setup some return address
      by writting in memory and have the debug agent return to the point we want.

      Single stepping is handled by GDB by disassembling and putting breakpoint
      instructions. Putting breakpoints is made by reading/writing the memory.

      With a BDM/JTAG this is another story. But we also don't need a remote debug
      agent.

      Stephane

      Home Office
      E-mail: stcarrez@... Stephane.Carrez@...
      WWW: http://home.worldnet.fr/stcarrez http://www.sun.com
      Mail: 17, rue Foucher Lepelletier 6, avenue Gustave Eiffel
      92130 Issy Les Moulineaux 78182 Saint Quentin en Yvelines
      France