What is the exact framework of what we are studying

  • camarwick
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2004
      Hi pmcv,
      I address this mail to you as, not personally, but because you seem to be the main tutor within this group.  I have re-read the club's outline defining what the club is about, and if I have understood this correctly then, the clubs purpose is to study and comprehend the early 'religious' movements, known collectively as Gnosticism, on a purely historical basis, without interpretation or extrapolation.  Am I correct, if not please clarify.  Also are the semantics so important? especially as words can mean entirely different things depending on where you live. Finally, what method of study are we using.  Will someone point us in a certain direction or should we work alone and then bring our problems/ conclusions to this forum?  I'm curious did this group start as an aspect of a varsity course.
      I'm sorry if my questions strike you as odd, but I'm getting a lot of flack from my devout RC husband who, having recently become computer and e-mail aware, believes that the e-mails from this group are pagan and blasphemous, and I would like to be sure of the details when disabusing him of his ideas.
      Regards
      Caz
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2004
        Hey Camarwick/Caz, you state....

        >>>"Hi pmcv,
        I address this mail to you as, not personally, but because you seem
        to be the main tutor within this group."<<<

        Let me first point out that I am NOT some kind of main tutor in the
        group. First off, Gerry and Lady Cari hold an administrative office
        identical to mine... we are co-mods. AND, on the practical front
        there are many here who display an impressive knowledge of the
        subject, including Mike and Terje, and others that I am guilty of not
        mentioning. Please don't think me some kind of teacher, I am simply
        maybe a bit good at fostering conversation in spite of my ignorance ;)

        >>>"I have re-read the club's outline defining what the club is
        about, and if I have understood this correctly then, the clubs
        purpose is to study and comprehend the early 'religious' movements,
        known collectively as Gnosticism, on a purely historical basis,
        without interpretation or extrapolation. Am I correct, if not please
        clarify."<<<

        OK, you are incorrect on that focus, so let me clarify as you ask. We
        are about understanding historical Gnosticism, with the inclusion as
        it relates to modern groups and individuals that feel a connection to
        those historical groups. In other words, we are about TRADITIONAL,
        Gnosticism, which does not always mean HISTORICAL Gnosticism. We ARE
        careful to try and define "Gnostic" according to historical criteria,
        which means we deal with modern groups that are concerned with that
        definition.

        This means we do NOT deal with Thelema, Samael Aun Woer, or with
        Sylvia Browne, unless it is to compare/contrast it with traditional
        forms of Gnosticism.

        Does that help? Let me know and I will try to be more specific.

        ...."Also are the semantics so important? especially as words can
        mean entirely different things depending on where you live."<<<<

        This question is not about where WE live, but about the beliefs as
        they were outlined where THEY... the historical Gnostics, lived. This
        is the point that brings us together.... whateer YOUR culture.... we
        want to know the ORIGINAL culture here.

        us in a certain direction or should we work alone and then bring our
        problems/ conclusions to this forum? I'm curious did this group
        start as an aspect of a varsity course."<<<<<

        The answer is "yes". Both are true. There is an academic leaning
        trying to be ballanced with a personal leaning.... varsity with the
        layperson. There are many different people here who have different
        backgrounds. Some are academic, some are clergy, some are personal,
        some are even anti-Gnostic curiousity, that is to say people who want
        to find out better why they disagree.

        YOU!!! personally, should both... try to understand it on a personal
        level, and bring it back for your own disagreements (to help eeryone
        understand) as well as to understand certain specifics of
        communication that are absolutely part of how we communicate on the
        subject of "Gnosticism".

        So, on the basic level, the "method of study are we using" has an
        academic edge, a critical meaning of what "Gnosticism" is, but then
        understand that there is an importance to how you personally find
        yourself against that deffinition.

        Let me point out that we have had attacks from academicians who find
        us overly willing to accept personal interperatation, as well as from
        New Agers who think we are just overly academic. Both of those are
        really compliments in the fact that we are trying to produce a
        ballance that simply is not presented anywhere else on the net. That
        is to say, we are trying to deal with the question of personal
        importance within an academic definition. If that sounds hard to you,
        then maybe it will demonstrate how hard our job has been in keeping
        this focus.

        lot of flack from my devout RC husband who, having recently become
        computer and e-mail aware, believes that the e-mails from this group
        are pagan and blasphemous, and I would like to be sure of the details
        when disabusing him of his ideas."<<<

        Now that IS interesting!!! By "RC", do you mean Roman Catholic or
        Rocicrucian? If the latter, do you mean AMORC or Hiendel?

        Well, I actuually think you mean the first choice. If that is so, let
        me point out to your hubby that in spite of the early "RC"
        misrepresentation of "Gnostic" orders, there is a connection that is
        greater than most would like to admit (from both sides). Fact is,
        more and more scholors on the subject believe that both the Roman
        Catholic, and the Greek Orthodox (with the latter being the older
        church) are to some extent spinoffs of some forms of Gnosticism. If
        he wants to disagree... bring him here ;)

        By some sources, Valentinus was almost a Pope, well, we could talk
        about what the RC church would be if that had happened. Seriously,
        this is not jsut a group for those who believe in "Gnosticism".... if
        your hubby has a genuine interest in the history of the subject, let
        him come here... I challenge him to an historical debate.