Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: equality

  • Lynette
    Message 1 of 62 , Aug 1, 2004
      WELL. LOL. Since PMCV requested that we not post what we think but what we think the original passages meant, I guess I'm gonna wait and see what others might say. Or think on it a bit more, because my first inclination is to say they were insane.
      Sincerely,
      Lynette

      "To find the solution is to discover there  is no problem."

      > Ok, Lynette, I have to concede that your request is fair. Still, I
      > want to leave the point out there for some conversation, so let me
      > simply point to some passages for our members here to all give
      thier
      > thoughts on.
      >
      > First, let me pick the last passage in the Gospel of Thomas. I
      point
      > this out because it has been used both to argue misogyny as well as
      > equality. For everyone in this discussion, I don't want to hear
      what
      > it means to you, but what you think it meant in it's original
      context.

      > Next, I will pick the third paragraph in Philip. I believe this is
      > one of those passages that people unfamiliar with Gnosticism have a
      > hard time picking out the secret lingo, so I thought it could be an
      > interesting discussion.
      >
      > Sorry all, I was going to post the actual passages, but I have to
      > run. I will post them later if no one else does.
      >
      > PMCV

      Logion 114, _The Gospel According to Thomas_:

      Simon Peter said to them, "Mary should leave us, for females are not
      worthy of life."  Jesus said, "See, I am going to attract her to make
      her male so that she too might become a living spirit that resembles
      you males.  For every female (element) that makes itself male will
      enter the kingdom of heavens."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      From _The Gospel According to Philip_:

      A Gentile does not die, for the gentile has never become alive so as
      to die.  One who has believed in the truth has become alive; and this
      person runs the risk of dying, because of being alive.

      Since Christ came, the world has been created, cities have been
      organized, and the dead have been buried.  When we were Hebrews we
      were orphans with (only) our mother, but when we became Christians we
      got father and mother.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 9, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Riggott" <wu@n...> wrote:

        > No offense, but these one-liners don't convey an awful lot. For
        > example, is that a personal oppinion or a Gnostic position? If
        > the latter, could you expand on it a little, like why you brought
        > it up and where it comes from, etc?
        >

        > Gavin Riggott

        Thank you, Gavin, for stating what *should* be obvious. Personally,
        I think one-liners are better suited for a comedy club, so your
        appeal to Reason here was much appreciated.