Re: gnosticism is cool...equality and Mary Magdalen

  • eyeambetty
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hi Mike,

      >betty wrote:
      > > AAAHHH the eternal headscratcher...i don't think it's a matter of
      > > working hard to get results, or some inherent ability. my
      impression
      > > is that while all may have the potential for Gnosis, but many may
      > > not recognized or acknowledge the desire within themselves to
      > > cultivate that potential. now, are those who awaken to this
      > > potential chosen? or is it determined by the degree to which they
      > > participate
      > > in their own self discovery/ process of development/pursuit of
      > > knowledge/ remembrance of spirit?
      > >
      > > here is a passage from "The Gospel of Truth" to ponder:
      > >
      > > "Since the perfection of the All is in the Father, it is necessary
      > > for the All to ascend to him. Therefore, if one has knowledge, he
      > > gets what belongs to him and draws it to himself. For he who is
      > > ignorant is deficient, and it is a great deficiency, since he
      lacks
      > > that which will make him perfect. Since perfection of the All is
      in
      > > the Father, it is necessary for the All to ascend to him and for
      > > each one to get the things which are his. He registered them
      first,
      > > having prepared them to be given to those who came from him.
      > >
      > > Those whose name he knew first were called last, so that one who
      has
      > > knowledge is he whose name the Father has pronounced. For he whose
      > > name has not been spoken is ignorant. Indeed,how shall one hear if
      > > his name has not been uttered? For he who remains ignorant until
      the
      > > end is a creature of forgetfulness and will perish with it. If
      this
      > > is not so, why have these wretches no name, why do they have no
      > > sound? Hence, if one has knowledge, he is from above. If he is
      > > called, he hears, he replies, and he turns toward him who called
      him
      > > and he ascends to him and he knows what he is called. Since he has
      > > knowledge, he does the will of him who called him. He desires to
      > > please him and he finds rest. He receives a certain name. He who
      > > thus is going to have knowledge knows whence he came and whither
      he
      > > is going. He knows it as a person who, having become intoxicated,
      > > has turned from his drunkenness, and having come to himself, has
      > > restored what is his own."

      >Mike wrote:
      > This seems to point to what I said earlier that the hand of the
      divine
      > must reach down for us to grasp it for enlightenment or salvation,
      > use the orthodox word, to take place. Sort of the Gnostic version
      of
      > Grace, I guess. The question is, does our reaching up, attract that
      > hand reaching down, or is there something else involved?

      perhaps that hand reaching down is always straining towards us, but
      the memory of our origins is hidden from our consciousness because of
      the false perceptions we have of the world and ourselves. ignorance
      of the reality or consciouness other than what we've been led to
      perceive.

      saying #69 from "The Gospel Of Thomas" reads: Jesus said "Fortunate
      are those who are persecuted in their hearts: They are the ones who
      truly come to know the father. Fortunate are they who are hungry,
      that the stomach of the person in want may be filled."

      i interpret this saying as who one comes to realize that something is
      not right, it's a nagging feeling that we can't quite put our finger
      on, and it alienates us from our surroundings, our families, our
      upbringing, and the places which we should fit in. this
      discontent "persecutes us in our hearts" because we are faced with
      turning away from all we've come to know, but that is also what sets
      us on the road of self discovery, creating a hunger that we strive to
      satiate.

      sincerely, betty
    • lilyfayre
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 2, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "eyeambetty" <eyeambetty@y...> wrote:

        > I thank you, Lily. how extraordinary, this is more synchronistic
        > than you know, may i send you a personal email?
        >
        > if i remember correctly,it was Jung who said:
        > "Only the wounded physician heals."
        >
        > take care,
        > sincerely, betty

        Hello Betty,

        How interesting! :)
        Please do write to me - I look forward to hearing from you.

        Kindest,
        Lily.