Re: equality

    Message 1 of 62 , Aug 1, 2004

      > > not
      > > make
      > > resembles
      > >>
      > >> This passage has always been difficult to me. On the one hand it
      > >> seems to affirm the superiority of the male to the female, yet
      also
      > >> affirm the ability of the female to become like the male and
      become
      > >> equal. Another passage talks about making the male and the
      female
      > >> into a single one. This may be what this is all about, spiritual
      > >> integration. I believe ~elements~ is an interpolation, it was
      not
      > > in
      > >> the text as I originally read it. I think it is a culture bound
      > >> passage and is bowing to the male dominated culture of its time,
      > >> yet also defying it.
      > >>
      > > Hi, Mike. I'm still very new to these scriptures, so I have a hard
      > > time going back and finding passages when I want. This passage
      > > bugged me when I first read it, but in another place I read other
      > > references to males/females that seemed to use "male" as
      > > representing something that is "full" and "female" as something
      > > empty, or needing to be filled. (Seems like the passage had
      > > something to do with a warning against being filled with the wrong
      > > stuff.) Am I grasping at straws here? jana
      >
      > Your interpretation seems sound enough, but I don't remember that
      > passage (means nothing). :-)
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

      I don't know what passage jana is referring to either, but as
      to "male" and "female" references, Bentley Layton has a footnote to
      this passage in _The Gnostic Scriptures_, p.399:

      f. "female (element)... male": it was a philosophical cliche that the
      material constituent of an entity was "female," while its form (or
      ideal form) was "male."

      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 9, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Riggott" <wu@n...> wrote:

        > No offense, but these one-liners don't convey an awful lot. For
        > example, is that a personal oppinion or a Gnostic position? If
        > the latter, could you expand on it a little, like why you brought
        > it up and where it comes from, etc?
        >

        > Gavin Riggott

        Thank you, Gavin, for stating what *should* be obvious. Personally,
        I think one-liners are better suited for a comedy club, so your
        appeal to Reason here was much appreciated.