equality

  • camarwick
    Message 1 of 62 , Jul 31, 2004
      Putting the texts in historic context we are looking at a time when society was completely dominated by the males and the females were considered to be little more than live stock whose main purpose was to breed sons.  It was believed by many that women did not have souls, and that they were a temptation to men and therefore evil. Peter was a Jew and lived at a time when Jewish females either lived at home with their fathers or their husbands.  Any woman who, like Mary Magdalene, lived and worked alongside men who were not their fathers or husbands were automatically classed as prostitutes, regardless of the type of relationships involved.  Hence Mary Magdalene being shown as a prostitute in the bible.
      When Jesus addresses Peter's problems with Mary Magdalene, he is saying in terms that Peter would understand, that all women need to become like men is to be given a soul so that they can be redeemed, hence made equal, something that would be in total opposition to what Peter believed.
      Caz
      PS.  I haven't given up on hick versus pagan yet.
      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 9, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Riggott" <wu@n...> wrote:

        > No offense, but these one-liners don't convey an awful lot. For
        > example, is that a personal oppinion or a Gnostic position? If
        > the latter, could you expand on it a little, like why you brought
        > it up and where it comes from, etc?
        >

        > Gavin Riggott

        Thank you, Gavin, for stating what *should* be obvious. Personally,
        I think one-liners are better suited for a comedy club, so your
        appeal to Reason here was much appreciated.