Re: equality

  • elmoreb
    Message 1 of 62 , Jul 29, 2004
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Lynette <lynette_f@d...> wrote:
      > I'm not the expert on gnosticism, PMCV..... Go ahead and provide
      the answer, I'm waiting.

      > I understand your point on runners, etc. But I'd like to point out
      that while there are some better at some things then others, it all
      balances out. And for those that aspire to nothing, then they are
      really pretty good at doing nothing. Equality is still there, but
      not everybody sees that.
      > Sincerely,
      > Lynette
      >
      > "To find the solution is to discover there is no problem."

      Whats the definition of equality we are talking about? Equality in
      rights and respect as a person... yes we are all equal. I disagree
      though that everyone is equal in the sum of thier abilities. I know
      plenty of people that arent very good at much, and what they ARE
      good at, they arent too good at. Does this make them a bad person or
      any less of an "equal" in my eyes. No, of course not. It just means
      they are behind.

      Case in point, my little brother. He has downs syndrome. Is he an
      equal as a person? Absolutely. Is he an equal in abilities? Not at
      all.

      I think the point of this equality thread before it got hijacked ;)
      was equality based on non-ability qualities. Such as color, gender,
      age, etc. I have no idea what gnostics thought of different races.
      Seems like they would have been open because of the area/time
      period. And gnostics definately did not descriminate against women,
      at least not with church matters. With age comes wisdom, I believe
      all facets of society view ages differently. The elder are usually
      respected more and usually given more responsibility. Wether you
      consider this discrimination or not, is a different matter.
      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 9, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Riggott" <wu@n...> wrote:

        > No offense, but these one-liners don't convey an awful lot. For
        > example, is that a personal oppinion or a Gnostic position? If
        > the latter, could you expand on it a little, like why you brought
        > it up and where it comes from, etc?
        >

        > Gavin Riggott

        Thank you, Gavin, for stating what *should* be obvious. Personally,
        I think one-liners are better suited for a comedy club, so your
        appeal to Reason here was much appreciated.