AreGnostics Liibertarians

  • maryjvan19302000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2004
      Isn't it true that the Gnostics do not subscribe to an authoratative
      kind of God, as do fundementalist Christians who conceive God as a
      person or supreme being who intervenes in our lives but does not
      give us free will? Does this mean that the Gnostics may have been
      libertarians since they did not submit to the authority of the
      church hierarchy and may be the reason they were declared as
      heretics by the orthodox church? I find in my studies that there is
      much about gnostic beliefs that is not well understood today.However
      it is possible that the church hierarchy was not created by the
      Divine but a human institution that is imperfect like the rest of
      us? Can anyone clarify this confusion in the mind of a beginner to
      gnosis and also a Christian libertarian. The two don't usually go
      together although many of the early Christians were also Gnostics who
      were later separated from orthodox church.The gnostics are now
      gaining some interest even though they may be viewed as mavericks by
      the orthodox elites. Your friend and
      fellow seeker Mary
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "maryjvan19302000"
        <maryjvan@m...> wrote:
        > Isn't it true that the Gnostics do not subscribe to an
        > authoratative kind of God,....

        Let me use your previous post, Mary, to offer some clarifications
        that may help. Keep in mind, I'm not picking on the example you
        used, just trying to get to the heart of how we conceptualize the
        Divine.