Re: Greetings, and a reply to wvdog61

  • elmoreb
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2004
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Lynette <lynette_f@d...> wrote:
      > Hi, I'm new. I like to study and compare religions. Thought I'd
      check out this group to see what gnosticism is based upon, and what
      its current train of thought is. I know very little about this
      belief, so any questions I ask please jump right in and inform me.

      > I'm curious, Rodney, is it a general belief in gnosticism that
      suffering is good?

      > I personally belief that suffering is a human "plight" or "blight"
      and not really as we should approach life. Sure suffering happens,
      and on occasion you are correct that some people come to profound
      conclusions because of that suffering. But I feel that those people
      that do, also had to have a defining moment in that suffering when
      they said to themselves, I'm not going to do this to myself anymore,
      and discover the reasons behind their suffering and rose above the
      situation. I think that in that suffering became a need to survive
      it. That survival instinct is the good, and the suffering may have
      been a trigger. But one does not always learn profound insights from
      suffering. Some learn it from joy as well. And as you so well
      pointed out, some people suffer horribly their whole life, and never
      rise above it. So I'd say suffering is a symptom, but not a cure.

      > But, I'm truly more interested in what your religion thinks? Is it
      a general thought that suffering is "good"?
      > Sincerely,
      > Lynette

      Definately not. There are many different believes about suffing in
      gnosticism ( as many differences as there are people). Gnosticism
      teaches that suffering is due to flaws in our world. The flaws were
      brought about by an imperfect creator, because an imperfect being
      cannot make a perfect world. So suffering is just a condition of a
      flawed world. Some believe that all suffering is good and others
      believe all suffering is bad. Personally, I believe all suffering is
      bad. But even good can be taken from bad things.