Re: Creativity... modern reflections on Gnosticism

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 5, 2004
      Ah, but Leslie.... what about the books they created, the
      mythology... are they not works of art? Art may use a material
      medium, but that does not mean it's function is material. There is an
      old saying concerning the person who looks at the finger of the man
      who is pointing. Our subject here is surely meaning, not medium.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, LESLIE BRYON <BryonL@p...> wrote:
      > I am not an expert but my hymble point of view is that Physics
      studies the Material World. The same world that the Gnostics
      considered evil not worth of being in because their ideology was set
      to find an internal truth (espiritual...) and learned how to get back
      to the pleroma as perfect spiritual things.
      > So creation of artistic objects (material things) were not in their
      scope.
      > Again i am not an expert in relifion nor philosophy. I work in the
      mental health field so i am better with the psychological aspects...

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 5, 2004
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 07/05/04, you wrote:

        > Hey, Mike. You are right that I only have a vague familiarity with
        > the book "The Gnostics and Thier Remains; Ancient and Medieval"... I
        > assume we are talking about the same book, by King. Thumbed through
        > and realized I wanted other sources. (maybe I should read it though
        > before I really say?)
        >
        > However, I did cover that base a bit. The thing I remember is that
        > much of the material dealt not with Gnosticism, but with Templars,
        > Mithraic remains, Serapis, Freemasons... etc. In other words, it
        > doesn't exactly answer my topic of art dealing with Gnosticism.

        Well you did see the :-), I guess. Actually most of the book deals
        with what he considers gnostic remains, but of course we know now
        many were Mithraic, neo-Platonic, etc., but still perhaps originally
        gnostic in origin. For its day it is a good book. None the less,
        the shadow of the third century as Alvin Boyd Kuhn calls it,
        destroyed most gnostic art, especially the big stuff. As King
        himself points out, the gems were saved because they were valuable.
        The book is worth reading, especially if you know enough to
        critically appraise it.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 5, 2004
          Cool, well Mike... are there any particular plates in the book that
          you find especially interesting that you could share with us?

          Still, I do hope that somebody here would also share some of thier
          own work.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 5, 2004
            Hello pmcvflag

            On 07/06/04, you wrote:

            > Cool, well Mike... are there any particular plates in the book that
            > you find especially interesting that you could share with us?
            >
            > Still, I do hope that somebody here would also share some of thier
            > own work.
            >
            > PMCV

            My memory of it is almost all in text small illustrations. There
            might be a plate or two, but the only one I remember is a fairly
            large one of Abraxus, of dubious origin. I really don't know where
            the book is right now, alas, my library has been a shambles for
            years, and my back to bad to move it and reshelve it.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 6, 2004
              > Cool, well Mike... are there any particular plates in the book that
              > you find especially interesting that you could share with us?
              >
              > Still, I do hope that somebody here would also share some of thier
              > own work.
              >
              > PMCV

              How about poetry, too? I know there are bound to be some poets out
              there. No, you don't have to be a professional artist, poet, etc.
              Heck, I remember Terje and I posting a few poems a while back.
              Unfortunately, those posts vanished in the still unsolved mystery of
              that section of our "lost" archives.

              Also, PMCV, I know what a devoted Blake fan you are. Perhaps, if
              you're so inclined at some point, you (and others) could share some
              of your insights about Blake regarding things Gnostic.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 6, 2004
                Hello lady_caritas

                On 07/06/04, you wrote:

                >> Cool, well Mike... are there any particular plates in the book that
                >> you find especially interesting that you could share with us?
                >>
                >> Still, I do hope that somebody here would also share some of thier
                >> own work.
                >>
                >> PMCV
                >

                > How about poetry, too? I know there are bound to be some poets out
                > there. No, you don't have to be a professional artist, poet, etc.
                > Heck, I remember Terje and I posting a few poems a while back.
                > Unfortunately, those posts vanished in the still unsolved mystery of
                > that section of our "lost" archives.
                >
                > Also, PMCV, I know what a devoted Blake fan you are. Perhaps, if
                > you're so inclined at some point, you (and others) could share some
                > of your insights about Blake regarding things Gnostic.
                >

                > Cari

                Do you know the time frame on that, I may have Terje's post archived,
                I have stuff of his going back to 1997.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 6, 2004
                  > Hello lady_caritas
                  >
                  > On 07/06/04, you wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > >> Cool, well Mike... are there any particular plates in the book
                  that
                  > >> you find especially interesting that you could share with us?
                  > >>
                  > >> Still, I do hope that somebody here would also share some of
                  thier
                  > >> own work.
                  > >>
                  > >> PMCV
                  > >

                  > > How about poetry, too? I know there are bound to be some poets out
                  > > there. No, you don't have to be a professional artist, poet, etc.
                  > > Heck, I remember Terje and I posting a few poems a while back.
                  > > Unfortunately, those posts vanished in the still unsolved mystery
                  of
                  > > that section of our "lost" archives.
                  > >
                  > > Also, PMCV, I know what a devoted Blake fan you are. Perhaps, if
                  > > you're so inclined at some point, you (and others) could share
                  some
                  > > of your insights about Blake regarding things Gnostic.
                  > >

                  > > Cari
                  >
                  > Do you know the time frame on that, I may have Terje's post
                  archived,
                  > I have stuff of his going back to 1997.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > --
                  > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                  Hi, Mike. Gosh, I don't remember exactly, but it might have been in
                  the latter half of 2001 or soon thereafter. It was back when we were
                  still in the Yahoo club format before switching to groups. Actually,
                  Terje posted more poems to another club which doesn't exist anymore.
                  He may have some archived himself, too.

                  Do you write poetry, Mike?

                  Thanks,
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 6, 2004
                    Hello lady_caritas

                    On 07/07/04, you wrote:

                    >> Hello lady_caritas
                    >>
                    >> On 07/06/04, you wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@y...>
                    > that

                    > thier

                    >> > How about poetry, too? I know there are bound to be some poets
                    >> > out there. No, you don't have to be a professional artist, poet,
                    >> > etc. Heck, I remember Terje and I posting a few poems a while
                    >> > back. Unfortunately, those posts vanished in the still unsolved
                    >> > mystery
                    > of
                    >> > that section of our "lost" archives.
                    >> >
                    >> > Also, PMCV, I know what a devoted Blake fan you are. Perhaps, if
                    >> > you're so inclined at some point, you (and others) could share
                    > some
                    >>> of your insights about Blake regarding things Gnostic.
                    >>>

                    >>> Cari
                    >>
                    >> Do you know the time frame on that, I may have Terje's post
                    > archived,
                    >> I have stuff of his going back to 1997.
                    >>
                    >> Regards
                    >> --
                    >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                    >
                    > Hi, Mike. Gosh, I don't remember exactly, but it might have been in
                    > the latter half of 2001 or soon thereafter. It was back when we were
                    > still in the Yahoo club format before switching to groups. Actually,
                    > Terje posted more poems to another club which doesn't exist anymore.
                    > He may have some archived himself, too.
                    >
                    > Do you write poetry, Mike?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Cari

                    I did some when I was younger, but none of it was good enough to keep.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 6, 2004
                      Hello lady_caritas

                      On 07/07/04, you wrote:

                      >> Hello lady_caritas
                      >>
                      >> On 07/06/04, you wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@y...>
                      > that

                      > thier

                      >> > How about poetry, too? I know there are bound to be some poets
                      >> > out there. No, you don't have to be a professional artist, poet,
                      >> > etc. Heck, I remember Terje and I posting a few poems a while
                      >> > back. Unfortunately, those posts vanished in the still unsolved
                      >> > mystery
                      > of
                      >> > that section of our "lost" archives.
                      >> >
                      >> > Also, PMCV, I know what a devoted Blake fan you are. Perhaps, if
                      >> > you're so inclined at some point, you (and others) could share
                      > some
                      >>> of your insights about Blake regarding things Gnostic.
                      >>>

                      >>> Cari
                      >>
                      >> Do you know the time frame on that, I may have Terje's post
                      > archived,
                      >> I have stuff of his going back to 1997.
                      >>
                      >> Regards
                      >> --
                      >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                      >
                      > Hi, Mike. Gosh, I don't remember exactly, but it might have been in
                      > the latter half of 2001 or soon thereafter. It was back when we were
                      > still in the Yahoo club format before switching to groups. Actually,
                      > Terje posted more poems to another club which doesn't exist anymore.
                      > He may have some archived himself, too.
                      >
                      > Do you write poetry, Mike?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Cari

                      P.S. The only poem of his I found in that time frame was a poem about
                      Ash Wednesday to the French Gnostic Church list, I'll have to dig
                      some more.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 6, 2004
                        Cari said....

                        "Hi, Mike. Gosh, I don't remember exactly, but it might have been in
                        the latter half of 2001 or soon thereafter. It was back when we were
                        still in the Yahoo club format before switching to groups. Actually,
                        Terje posted more poems to another club which doesn't exist anymore.
                        He may have some archived himself, too.

                        Do you write poetry, Mike?"

                        I would love to hear some poetry from Mike too!!!

                        In case anyone is curious, Lady Cari is talking about a group I used
                        to run called "PhiloSophia" that delt with esoteric romance... but
                        Yahoo accidentally erased it recently. Specifically, the club delt
                        with troubadours, Dante, but also erotic undertones in some Gnostic
                        texts. Neoplatonic romance is perhaps a better term, since it was
                        from the viewpoint of a specific tradition that had Platonic
                        influence just as Gnosticism does. Anyways, many member here were
                        also over there. I am not sure if I will restart it though.

                        I have the feeling that people here may be waiting for somebody to
                        post first... so I will. Here is one of my poems, and perhaps I will
                        post some of my music here as well (I can't seem to find it right
                        now). Ok, so here I go........

                        Before you start reading, I am not always just an academician... this
                        is my view of esoteric love.... Philo Sophia... step back... take a
                        breath... read slowly...

                        -Can it be light, that guides a heart,
                        unto a face so dead
                        -To it's OWN heart, obsequious,
                        to nothing Eros said
                        -Or darkness be, since I gain not,
                        your mercy, pity, joy
                        -And fail to turn, your thoughts my way,
                        through all at my employ

                        How, love, can I make you understand
                        With nothing more than words to say I burn
                        My heaven and my hell is in your hand
                        Towards it's light, your face, my heart does turn.
                        My eyes accursed brought to me all this pain
                        Your hands, your words, your movements, are my grace.
                        Yet I can't hope your love on me will rain
                        When every flower turns toward your face.

                        PMCV (Aka ATroubadour)
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 7, 2004

                          > I have the feeling that people here may be waiting for somebody to
                          > post first... so I will.

                          And so you did, PMCV, as well as did Jason. Quite wonderful! Thank
                          you.

                          So, okay, I'll post something, and I surely hope more members will,
                          too. I found a poem of mine in a file from that time period I
                          mentioned, Mike, although unfortunately I don't have Terje's. As I
                          recall, there was a new member at that time who was interested in
                          discussing truth, or maybe Truth. ;-) So followed some fun poetry
                          posts about that aeon.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "Aletheia Dances"

                          Aletheia, Spirit Maiden of Clarity,
                          Reveal yourself to our blind eyes
                          Which seek but phantoms of form familiar
                          So foolishly dressing you in disguise.

                          Though fruitless is our human chase
                          As we fail to fathom immortality,
                          The essence of your pure perfume
                          Entices us to unveil your Reality.

                          Oh, permit us a glimpse of your genuine curve,
                          Even though your quintessence evades us.
                          Aletheia, Beloved Spirit of Trueness,
                          Indulge us with your beatific dances!
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                          Oh, and since PMCV mentioned PhiloSophia and eros, I'll add one I
                          posted at that club a while back.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "Eros"

                          Arms reaching, fingertips extended,
                          Legs outstretched, toes burrowed in earth.

                          Eros, embrace me,
                          Break my chains.

                          Unsheathe this garment,
                          Let me fly.

                          Lift me from this prison,
                          Desire, free me.

                          Kiss me with your fragrant Secret,
                          Let me find repose.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 8, 2004
                            Hello lady_caritas

                            On 07/08/04, you wrote:

                            >> I have the feeling that people here may be waiting for somebody to
                            >> post first... so I will.
                            >

                            > And so you did, PMCV, as well as did Jason. Quite wonderful! Thank
                            > you.
                            >
                            > So, okay, I'll post something, and I surely hope more members will,
                            > too. I found a poem of mine in a file from that time period I
                            > mentioned, Mike, although unfortunately I don't have Terje's. As I
                            > recall, there was a new member at that time who was interested in
                            > discussing truth, or maybe Truth. ;-) So followed some fun poetry
                            > posts about that aeon.
                            > "Aletheia Dances"

                            A bit more serious than no. 2. Angelius Silesius as translated by Max
                            Heindel:

                            Though Christ a thousand times is Bethlehem be born,
                            Unless within thy heart,
                            Thy soul will be forlorn.

                            The cross on Golgotha thou lookest to in vein,
                            Unless within thy heart,
                            It be set up again.