Re: Who (or what) is "THE DEVIL"?/Great Fall of the Spirits

    Message 1 of 74 , Jun 5, 2004
      Hello lady_caritas

      On 06/05/04, you wrote:

      > The illusion is believing that our temporal
      > world (existence) is all there is.
      >
      > And, the Gnostics did realize this.
      >
      > _The Secret Book of John_ describes a monad that "is a unitary
      > principle of rule, has nothing that presides over it. [...]god and
      > parent of the entirety [...]presides over [...] incorruptibility."
      >
      > But this isn't all. This monad is "existing" (IOW part of our
      > temporal sensibilities)... metaphorically "[in] uncontaminated
      > light, toward which no vision can gaze. This [is] the invisible
      > spirit." No vision can gaze into the absolute. We can only conceive
      > representations, albeit representations of incorruptibility.
      >
      > In another example, Ptolemy in his Version of the Gnostic Myth
      > begins: "Within invisible and unnameable heights" -- here again
      > symbolic mention of the Absolute –
      > "there was -- they say -- a preexistent, perfect eternity; this
      > they call also prior source, ancestor, and the deep. And it existed
      > uncontained, invisible, everlasting, and unengendered. Within
      > infinite eternal realms it was in great stillness and rest." IOW
      > this prior source is the representation from whence emanation flows.
      >
      > Now, _The Tripartite Tractate_ speaks of the Father as a "single
      > one, like a number, for he is the first one and the one who is only
      > himself. Yet he is not like a solitary individual."
      >
      > There is a quandary when monists try to literally merge the Gnostic
      > Absolute nonbeing with our world. Emanationism at least allowed the
      > Gnostics to recognize the Absolute and our world as both real,
      > expressed by means of metaphorical representation, incorruptibility
      > and corruptibility, in their mythologies.
      >

      > Cari

      And in both the Pistis Sophia and the Gospel of Truth (both
      Valentinian) the emanation of this world is seen as a mistake of the
      Sophia (though that name is not used in the Gospel of Truth, the
      character is basically the same), so the emanation process was
      interfered with, and this is an imperfect world, even though its
      source is ultimately perfect, it comes through an imperfect chanel,
      and is a mistake, so to speak.

    • George Harvey
      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 16, 2004
        > Hello George
        >
        > On 06/16/04, you wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Mike,
        > > Someone on my list said modern Gnostic churches do not allow women
        > > to be priests. Is that true of your church?
        > >
        > > George
        >
        > Stephan ordained Rosa Miller to the priesthood, and consecrated her
        > bishop. We currently have two active women priests, and an active
        > woman deacon or three, I can't keep up with it. The short answer is
        > no it is not true of our church, nor is it true of the French
        Gnostic
        > Church, our confederate. It may be true of some more traditionally
        > Catholic Gnostic churches, milage may vary. Years ago I asked an
        > old Liberal Catholic Priest (they have no women in orders to this
        > day), "how can you deny one of the sacraments to half the human
        > race." He was stunned by the question, and said that was the only
        > thing anyone had said to him that gave him doubts about the all male
        > clergy.
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

        Hi Mike,
        Thank you. I suspected she was wrong but didn't know for sure.

        George