Re: Who (or what) is "THE DEVIL"?/Great Fall of the Spirits

  • fred60471
    Message 1 of 74 , Jun 4, 2004

      > Hey Fred
      >
      > Actually it is probably good you ask these questions. I do
      sometimes
      > get used to talking to others here who are familiar with the
      > historical sources, and forget that there will be a number here who
      > may not know what I am talking about, but feel shy to ask. So, to
      > start with your questions....

      I feel familiar with the historical sources, I just needed a clue as
      to what you were talking about.

      > Frankly though, the term "dualist" is really kind of unnecessary in
      our study of Gnosticism, since nearly everyone is dualist to some
      extent.

      I think dualism is an essential feature of Gnosticism, that is so
      well accepted by scholars that it hardly requires any arguement. But,
      now I see why you are so reluctant to stipulate that fact and wish to
      suppress it. That Gnosticism is an emanationist philosophy is also
      quite apparent.

      "Gnosticism has been the most radical embodiment of dualism ever to
      have appeared on the stage of history... It is a split between the
      self and world, men's alienation from nature, the metaphysical
      devaluation of nature, the cosmic solitude of the spirit and the
      nihilism of mundane norms; and in its general extremist style is
      shows what radicalism really is."
      (Hans Jonas)

      Regards,
      fred
    • George Harvey
      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 16, 2004
        > Hello George
        >
        > On 06/16/04, you wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Mike,
        > > Someone on my list said modern Gnostic churches do not allow women
        > > to be priests. Is that true of your church?
        > >
        > > George
        >
        > Stephan ordained Rosa Miller to the priesthood, and consecrated her
        > bishop. We currently have two active women priests, and an active
        > woman deacon or three, I can't keep up with it. The short answer is
        > no it is not true of our church, nor is it true of the French
        Gnostic
        > Church, our confederate. It may be true of some more traditionally
        > Catholic Gnostic churches, milage may vary. Years ago I asked an
        > old Liberal Catholic Priest (they have no women in orders to this
        > day), "how can you deny one of the sacraments to half the human
        > race." He was stunned by the question, and said that was the only
        > thing anyone had said to him that gave him doubts about the all male
        > clergy.
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

        Hi Mike,
        Thank you. I suspected she was wrong but didn't know for sure.

        George