RE: [Gnosticism2] Re: Who (or what) is "THE DEVIL"?/Great Fall of the Spirits

  • Mary VanEsselstyn
    Message 1 of 74 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi Mike

      >From: Mike Leavitt <ac998@...>
      >To: gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Gnosticism2] Re: Who (or what) is "THE DEVIL"?/Great Fall of the
      >Spirits
      >Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 13:59:08 -0700

      Our understanding of Gnostis is very vaque today but it appears that
      more people are searching for knowledge that will explain our existance,
      where we can from and where we are going. For this reason it is important to
      know the original source of gnostiis in order to avoid the temptation to
      modernize it to go with our times or specific ideologies.This endeavor may
      turn out to be a difficult task that may take time and effort on our part.
      It is important to remember that many of the early Christians were Gnostics
      who were later declared heretics by the Orthdox Church because they did
      not agree with the creeds and doctrines that were made official by the
      Emperor Constantine. mary
    • George Harvey
      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 16, 2004
        > Hello George
        >
        > On 06/16/04, you wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Mike,
        > > Someone on my list said modern Gnostic churches do not allow women
        > > to be priests. Is that true of your church?
        > >
        > > George
        >
        > Stephan ordained Rosa Miller to the priesthood, and consecrated her
        > bishop. We currently have two active women priests, and an active
        > woman deacon or three, I can't keep up with it. The short answer is
        > no it is not true of our church, nor is it true of the French
        Gnostic
        > Church, our confederate. It may be true of some more traditionally
        > Catholic Gnostic churches, milage may vary. Years ago I asked an
        > old Liberal Catholic Priest (they have no women in orders to this
        > day), "how can you deny one of the sacraments to half the human
        > race." He was stunned by the question, and said that was the only
        > thing anyone had said to him that gave him doubts about the all male
        > clergy.
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

        Hi Mike,
        Thank you. I suspected she was wrong but didn't know for sure.

        George