Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Lowlights of DSS / NHL Seminar

  • Michael Heinich
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30 11:48 PM
      Thank you for your informed reply.

      Using different "filters", folks can come to different
      conclusions. I guess I was operating from a place
      that wasn't much different then Ehrman's upbringing.

      I did pass up the opportunity to pick up his
      "Apocolyptic Jesus" which was one of themes in the
      book we are discussing. The fact that Jesus behaved
      or said things that indicated he believed the world
      was going to end soon.

      My studies are taking me in different directions.

      --- Gerry <gerryhsp@...> wrote:
      > I'll likewise apologize for taking so long to offer
      > you a reply,
      > Michael, but my non-cyber life continues to consume
      > almost all of my
      > time lately. I've been trying to keep up with at
      > least reading the
      > posts here, but even that only became an option a
      > couple weeks ago
      > after I finally got corrective lenses for the first
      > time in my life.

    • Gavin Riggott
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2004
        "Certainly, Ehrman's wit is apparent even in those headings, but the
        very fact that he chooses to categorize these works generally in this
        way still gives me pause. As you and I have both pointed out,
        canonical books aren't exactly free from the charge of having
        authority unduly attributed to them. Even Ehrman admits this, but
        I'd be curious to see if he presents any NT titles as "forgeries" in
        any of his books or classes."

        I've recently purchased some DVDs from The Teaching Company. One set is by
        Bart Erham, titled "From Jesus to Constantine: A History of Early
        Chrstianity". So far (I'm just over half-way through it), he has mentioned
        several cases where books in the NT are probably not written by the authors
        they claim. I don't recall him calling them forgeries, though he might well
        have done - I wasn't on the look out for it. He has mentioned a couple of
        Christian apocryphal works though, and didn't seem to treat them any worse,
        or better, than the pseudopigriphical NT books he discussed. Although he
        hasn't talked about Gnosticism yet, I suspect that is comming soon, so I'll
        listen carefully to see if he treats it with a different standard to
        orthodoxy. I'll get back to you on that if anything interesting shows up.

        Gavin Riggott