mind cessation

  • Scott Fraser
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 28, 2004
      Cari Wrote:

      I don't think it's as simple as stopping thinking for everyone.
      For  instance, the _Gospel of Philip_, which identifies lack of
      acquaintance as "the mother of all evils," states, "Let each of
      us,  too, burrow for the root of evil that is within, and root it up
      from his or her heart.  It will be rooted up when it is recognized."
      At  least according to this one author, this implies an active
      process, does it not?

      Scott Wrote:
      Active introspection, yes -- which means a vigilant concentration
      or watching of our minds. But not thinking. We carefully watch our
      thoughts, see or recognise them for what they are, and let them go.
      They vanish or are "uprooted" when this recognition takes place. If
      we are interfering, thinking about our thoughts, then we are adding
      thought to thought, creating more activity and confusion. The mind is only clouded, and the serene light of the inner Christ obscured by the movement of thought.  The text says nothing about the culmination of this practice or even if it
      has one. But speaking from my own experience, this sounds like what
      I and many others did/do as a purificatory activity, removing the
      dark clouds (thoughts) that obscure the light of the Self or God.
      The mind is *stopped* when this purification is complete. When all
      our thoughts have burned out and we are like dead corpses, then the
      Light naturally manifests. The soul (bride) is purified and can
      unite with her bridegroom (The Lord) -- "Bridal chamber".
    • Gregory D Torres
      Message 35 of 35 , May 6, 2004
        I agree with you on your opion on how important
        history is. Those who dont remember the past are
        doomed. After 15 years of research on the nature of
        people. I have found that we all judge every thing and
        everyone. It is the way that one goes about it that
        maters.This will have a negative or poitive influence
        on the responce they will get. BE kind and choose
        carfully the words you use to judge...

        aude sepre

        --- lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "synthesehalevi"
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > BTW, Scott, I realized there are a couple of
        points I did not
        > > (due to your formatting problems)
        > >
        > > you state...

        > > initiations at all. We do not know if they were
        *seuqential* or
        > > *progressive* (stepping stone) or any such thing.
        > > perhaps, but that's about as much as we can say
        with any

        > > SO, by your reasoning we could equally state that
        Gnostics meant
        > > leave the pneumatic behind and find hylicism.
        Actually, Philip
        > > states quite explicitly that the person reaches
        levels in a
        > > sequential order. Gentile, Jew, then Christian.
        AND, all the
        > > agree that the bridal chamber does not happen
        before baptism.
        > > for me a single scholor that does not agree that
        these are
        > > initiatory levels, or a single source that
        disagrees with the
        > > intances that ARE stated.
        > > PMCV
        > Hi -
        > What about the actual EXPERIENCE of the living
        Gnosis, as opposed
        to scholarly theses about It?
        > From what I have gleaned during the past few days of
        reading the
        recent posts, only Scott Fraser is demonstrating some
        experience of Gnosis. The rest of the contributing
        members seem to be
        quite content in theorizing, academiciszing about it.
        > To me this seems to be the difference between a
        psychic and
        pneumatic (true Gnostic). This is all okay, of course,
        but as the
        wisdom of Dirty Harry testifies: "A man has to know
        his limitations!"
        > Would it not be wise to listen and seek through a
        man who
        demonstrates some actual living experience?
        > Even a dumb mule can carry lots of books!
        > Sincerely,

        y ~

        I was tempted to delete this post, as I find it
        inflammatory, but I
        decided to respond to make a point. You are a new
        member. You read
        a few posts and disparagingly decide whom to label
        psychic or
        pneumatic. I find that rather sophomoric and not at
        all encouraging
        respectful, constructive dialogue. Oh, surely, there
        have been
        other members who have suggested these labels of other
        group members
        during discussion. They have usually been less
        direct. I still view
        it as heckling and not acceptable in our group.
        Whether or not
        anyone even might be considered hylic, psychic, or
        pneumatic is not a
        reason for insensitive criticism.

        Perhaps I need to yet again reiterate the focus of our
        group. The
        focus of our group is historical, classical
        Gnosticism. This focus
        does not mean that we are only a history club. We
        invite those who
        wish to discuss their personal paths, to discuss
        Gnosis, "their
        actual EXPERIENCE of the living Gnosis." BUT, in our
        group this
        discussion is compared/contrasted to those historical
        Gnostics. We
        discuss within a *context*. Now, y, how can we do
        that if we don't
        try to explore what those Gnostics said, thought,
        experienced? Did
        they become "one with God," but still maintain a faith
        in atonement
        theology? Not to my knowledge. Did they become "one
        with God" and
        believe that "all is one" in a pantheistic or
        solipsistic sense? Not
        to my knowledge. How do I know that? I find out
        information through
        reading original sources in addition to academic
        exegesis provided by
        people who care to take the time to explore these
        ancients. I also
        learn much from discussion with others. And, in the
        end, my own
        experience comes into play when interpreting this

        Members in this group are here for a variety of
        reasons. Some are
        following a path of Gnosis and wish to share with
        others; some are
        just curious and would like to find out more
        information. There are
        many internet lists that define Gnosis very broadly
        and are in
        existence for the sole purpose of discussing inner
        spiritual paths.
        We choose to do so within a specific context, one that
        needs to be
        discussed at times in order to describe and relate to
        it. So, please
        do not be misled into thinking that reading a few
        posts will give you
        insight into the spirit within this group. Not all
        members even care
        to openly discuss their personal paths. That is their
        On the other hand, we are not looking for
        proselytizers or gurus. We
        all learn from each other here.

        And, it is our prerogative to insist that you desist
        from identifying
        group members categorically according to your
        perception of their
        grasp of Gnosis.

        Thank you.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new
        Array();lrec_URL[1] =
        link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile
        lrec_altURL =
        lrec_altimg =
        lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

        Yahoo! Groups Links