Re: Question Series #1 - Identity and the Divine Spark

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10, 2004
      Hello elmoreb

      On 04/10/04, you wrote:

      > The divine spark, in my opinion, is like the Fathers stamp of
      > approval. It allows us to take our place in the pleroma where we
      > belong, instead of being held in the hylic ( material) world along
      > with any hell or heaven manifestations the creator god has cooked
      > up. Basically, in orthodox terms, the "divine spark" is the "holy
      > spirit." In none of the texts ive read does it mention that your
      > individuality is lost at death. Can anyone explain this better? Im
      > not very good at explanations.

      The fruits of your experience and what you learn that are worth
      keeping become one with that divine spark, but your personality with
      all its foibles is lost, unless it has become a perfect reflection of
      the divine. Jesus personality probably remained intact, which is why
      he was able to resurrect (spiritually, not materially even according
      to Origin and Clement, BTW). I'll be lucky if 1/16th of it makes it
      through. :-)

    • mheinich
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2004
        At first, I felt that my fears were justified after reading the two
        replies to my question. But further reflection showed me that some
        of these fears are unrealistic and reflect my adversion to change.

        I feel my answer or partial answer can be summed up in this phrase:
        "To travel the path is to enter the crucible and come out changed on
        the other side."

        This is a play on Leto's statement to Stilgar at the end of Children
        of Dune which uses some heavy mystical messages. Specially near the
        end. But it suits my purpose.

        We are constantly changing. And following the path causes us to
        change in a particular manner. I will not be the same person a year
        from now(hopefully) though there will be memories and experiences
        (which I am not sure are good things to lose after physical death)
        but bad habits and traits need to be pushed aside or controlled since
        these can be barriers to continuing on to further enlightenment and
        salvation.