Lost Christianities by Ehrman

  • mheinich
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2004
      I was wondering if anyone here has read these two books:

      Lost Scriptures: Books That Did Not Make It into the New Testament
      by Bart D. Ehrman (Editor)

      Lost Christianities: The Battle for Scripture and the Faiths We Never
      Knew
      by Bart D. Ehrman

      I heard an interview with this man on NPR which got me fasinated
      about early christianity. I went out and bought the books and found
      Lost Christianities to be a great read for someone that does not know
      much about this subject (like me). He does cover the major factions
      including the Gnostics as well as the bible and some of the books
      that did not make it. I started looking for more information on
      Gnosticism because of my introduction to them from this book.
    • LESLIE BRYON
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2004
        Dr Ehrman  has also a series of lectures on videotapes. I purchased  Lost Christianities: Christian Scriptures and the Battles over Autentication (12 hours) where he focused on Gnostic Scriptures.
        He also recorded another series about Jesus and Early Christianity.
        Tapes can be order at   http://www.teach12.com.
        Hope this info is useful.
        Leslie

        mheinich <mheinich@...> wrote:
        I was wondering if anyone here has read these two books:

        Lost Scriptures: Books That Did Not Make It into the New Testament
        by Bart D. Ehrman (Editor)

        Lost Christianities: The Battle for Scripture and the Faiths We Never
        Knew
        by Bart D. Ehrman

        I heard an interview with this man on NPR which got me fasinated
        about early christianity.  I went out and bought the books and found
        Lost Christianities to be a great read for someone that does not know
        much about this subject (like me).  He does cover the major factions
        including the Gnostics as well as the bible and some of the books
        that did not make it.  I started looking for more information on
        Gnosticism because of my introduction to them from this book.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2004
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "mheinich" <mheinich@y...> wrote:
          > I was wondering if anyone here has read these two books:
          >
          > Lost Scriptures: Books That Did Not Make It into the New Testament
          > by Bart D. Ehrman (Editor)
          >
          > Lost Christianities: The Battle for Scripture and the Faiths We
          Never
          > Knew
          > by Bart D. Ehrman
          >
          > I heard an interview with this man on NPR which got me fasinated
          > about early christianity. I went out and bought the books and
          found
          > Lost Christianities to be a great read for someone that does not
          know
          > much about this subject (like me). He does cover the major
          factions
          > including the Gnostics as well as the bible and some of the books
          > that did not make it. I started looking for more information on
          > Gnosticism because of my introduction to them from this book.

          Well, we're glad to see you here, Michael. Actually, Gerry, who is
          currently very busy with offline matters, is another member who has
          read some of Bart Ehrman's books and recently attended one of his
          seminars. Even though Gerry is not currently available for comment,
          you're welcome to search the archives to read past messages dealing
          with this subject. You might want to just type "Bart Ehrman" in
          the "search archives" box on the group message board page. I believe
          discussion began in December last year.

          Also, if you haven't already, you might want to check out our links
          for further reference.
          http://gnosis.org/ has a wealth of information, including original
          source materials, such as the Nag Hammadi Library.

          In the meantime, thanks for continuing to share your questions,
          thoughts and insights with us, Michael.

          Cari
        • mheinich
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2004