Re: Material and Spiritual Worlds

    Message 1 of 67 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hello pmcvflag

      On 04/01/04, you wrote:

      > OH! It is my understanding that the "bouncing" comes from email
      > problems... but I am not clear on all of this. Back when we first
      > changed to EGroups, a person I was friendly with was quite upset
      > with me because he was bounced, but the moderators here have nothing
      > to do with that (just in case it happens to anyone else here. If you
      > seem to be kicked out of the club, it doesn't mean WE did it). In
      > his case, his email account sent a mailer deamon to yahoo stating
      > that it was full, it was that simple.
      >
      > So, you fixed the problem by somehow resetting your account? I know
      > there is a function for us to petition Yahoo for people to be
      > reinstated after a bounce, but I am not clear on the whole thing....
      > though I guess I have now gotton off topic for the group *blush*. I
      > do think that this is something that may effect other members
      > though, so I would like info on the subject to be public instead of
      > via email.
      >
      > PMCV

      Yes a moderator can unbounce people, & somewhere in Yahoo's help file
      should be the how. Email them from that page if you can't find it.
      Enough said on this for now. And yes, I did reset my account, and
      that brought all my Yahoo mailing lists back.

      Now back to the threefold nature of man in the Gnosis. St. Paul
      postulates Body, Soul, and Spirit as separate entities, pretty close
      to the Gnostic construct, isn't it? How do all those fundies miss
      this?

      Message 67 of 67 , Apr 5, 2004
        Hi, all. I just want to pop in to welcome all our recent new members
        (and older members posting for the first time) -- elmoreb, Jo Ann
        Hinkle, Steve, Michael Heinich, Scott Fraser, Leslie Bryon. There
        are many others who are at least reading and we invite you to join us
        in discussion, if you so desire.

        Just a note while I'm here, Leslie. I read the recent posts to which
        you responded and I couldn't find where anyone used the
        phrase "psychoanalyzing a Text." I did see mention of opinions
        regarding "psychologizing" texts, which might refer to interpretation
        of ancient text via modern psychology avenues.

        I suppose I would encourage an understanding of the intent of the
        author(s) first. Gnostic parlance wouldn't equate "pneumatic"
        with "psychic," but I also can't imagine how a spiritual awareness
        would not affect the psyche in some way and how we function in this
        world.

        Cari

        P. S. Dear members, no need to be "sorry," for joining conversations
        and offering respectful insights and opinions. After all, that's
        what we're here for, right? ;-)

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, LESLIE BRYON <BryonL@p...> wrote:
        > Sorry, i am new to the group and i am having a problem
        understanding two concepts:
        > 1) what do you mean by "psychoanalizing a Text" i am a Mental
        helath Counsleor and we analyze people and their writings not Texts...

        > 2) what does a person requires to be label as an "alchemist"? It is
        a philosophical position? a religious one? or a proto-chemist?
        > Sorry for my humble disagreement...
        > Leslie
        >
        > Scott Fraser <scorpius@i...> wrote:
        > Sorry to interrupt on this interesting discussion. But I don't
        believe that Gnostic texts can be psychologised. Look at the trouble
        Jung got into when he tackled alchemy. Totally clueless. You cannot
        understand someone else's meaning unless you have *experience* of the
        same underlying reality. Your experience is the limit of your
        knowledge and heuristic capacity. Jung was not an alchemist, so he
        misunderstood alchemy. How could he know what terms like "Lion"
        and "eagle" meant, when all he knew about was the psychological
        dimension? Paul says that the carnal man cannot understand the things
        of the spirit. Same principle at work: he has no *experience* of
        spiritual reality so he is *bound* to interpret on some other level
        of meaning that was not intended.

        > Jesus says that Pharisees *cannot* understand parables. Same thing
        here. We would not visit a psycholgist and expect him to tell us
        about dentistry, so why would we trouble him about *spiritual*
        matters when these too are outside the province of his experience and
        competence. The only reason we would make this mistake is if WE TOO
        had no experience of spiritual matters and therefore falsely believed
        that they were reduceable to psychological terms or that the
        psychological dimension was the only reality. Frankly, this error is
        appallingly evident in our modern world. We are simply unaware of
        anything beyond the conceptual/rational level of the mind, even
        though people who have visisted this other dimension...Jesus, Mani,
        Buddha, and a million others -- frequently bring back reports of it.
        We, not having the same experience as Gnostics, would logically think
        that no such experience existed, and therefore that it could be
        explained (away) psychologically. But this is not the level on
        > which the ancient Gnosticis address us. They are not talking to
        the carnal man or the psychic/rational/emotional man (or only insofar
        as he is the medium, or channel through which the spiritual man is
        reached)... They are talking to the spiritual man -- and only he will
        understand. If a mechanic talks to another mechanic about cars, both
        will understand. If a mechanic talks to someone who does not know
        what a car is, who in his narrow experience of life, has never seen
        on or touched one, then this person, having never experienced cars,
        may indeed think that cars are "all in the mechanics head"
        (reductionist/psychological). He may not even so much as suspect
        their existence, but if he does he will try to imagine what a car is
        in terms of his own existing experience and knowledge. This is
        exactly what a Psychologist does when he approaches Gnostcism. Again,
        experience is the limit of your knowledge. No one is fit to
        interpret gnostic *experience* unless he is himself a gnostic who
        > has had *actual gnosis* of the same reality. Otherwise he is
        trying to describe the scenery of a distant country he has never
        visited. All other comentators, who have not had gnosis, are only
        competent in the sphere of their own expertise and experience and
        should handle only peripheral matters of psychology, history,
        biography and so on. If they DO commentate on gnostic *experience* we
        will only find out what a psychogist or historian *thinks about*
        gnostic ie (non-psychogical) experience, not what a gnostic *knows*
        about his own experience. It may be interesting -- but it will not in
        the least way bring us closer to knowing what that experience is, or
        its true significance. For that, we would have to have the same
        experience ourselves. It is an absurd conceit to think we can know
        or say anything meaningful about something we haven't experienced,
        but ths is precisely the conceit of a psychologist who tries to
        understand occult states that he has no experience of. "Oh, of
        course,"
        > he says, "that journey through the heavens is *really just* a form
        of the oedipus complex"....Why should we not expect an enlightened
        Gnostic to say the opposite.."Oh, of course, his Oedipus complex is
        *really just* a form of journey through the heavens". The
        reductionist equation works both ways. Spritual matters can be
        psycholgised or psychological matters can be spiritualised. But this
        is viciously circular and very stupid. An experience is what it is.
        An oedipus complex is an oedipus complex. A journey through the
        heavens is a journey through the heavens. As it is experienced, so it
        is. . This does not mean experience is subjective, either. Because
        there is no objective reality with which it could be compared and
        said to be *subjective* in the first place. Gnostics do not talk to
        non-gnostics/non-initiates about their experience. They are speaking
        a different language to people who have not experienced what the
        words of their language signify.

        Prima