Re: Digest Number 565

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2004
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "liz dale-rudwick"
      <elizabethrud@b...> wrote:
      > [snip]
      > It is totally up to the list members what they want to discuss. I
      > am also interested in Alchemy and that has also been another area
      > of discussion. I am not an academic so rarely if at all have posted
      > on this list....

      Hey Elizabeth.

      I'm not an academic myself, although I occasionally play one on the
      Internet. ;-)

      Seriously, we don't have a prerequisite of any scholarly credentials
      for someone to get involved here, so I'd hate for anyone to get the
      wrong idea. The focus is narrow, however, and that's simply because
      of the historical focus of the original definition of Gnosticism.

      It's sort of a misnomer that the ancient writings we often reference
      here are seen as just dusty old volumes. I see someone else has
      commented already on the Life contained in them. I guess the fact
      that most of us don't have access to those materials themselves or
      since we lack fluency in the languages of the day, we have to rely to
      some degree on scholarly interpretations. That can indeed get stuffy
      at times, but the personal relevance to our everyday lives can very
      much be found within.

      Hang in there!