Re: Thomas, Philip,... acquaintance

    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 6, 2004
      Hello Ms Bliss.... just thought I would throw a few points in. For
      one, the Valentinians predate the Cathars so they are definately not
      a form of Cathars. Besides that, the Cathars are not Gnostic and the
      Valentinians are. They are actually quite different from each other.

      While Kundalini is interesting, I would caution against looking at
      Gnosticism through the lense of Kundalini in the same way as I would
      caution against seeing it through the lense of orthodox Christianity.
      Sure, there are connections we can draw, but also important
      destictions. Look at it for what it is, in and of itself.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Blissful Branches
      <blissful_branches@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings Cari,
      >
      > Just did a quick read through your email, but am looking forward to
      thoroughly re-reading your thoughts including the links relating to
      the Gospels of Philip & Thomas. I also need to read up on the
      Valentinians, which I believe to be another group of Cathars.
      However, I will have a proper email to you shortly. What you wrote
      definitely "resonates" with me a great deal.

      > Just a quick note on what I may have taken in, and again I could be
      off the mark completely, but somehow Kundalini Yoga came to mind as I
      read though some of the messages of Thomas & Philip, which discuss
      self-discovery and what we already possess, which in turn, can take
      us to a level of Higher Consciousness. In Kundalini Yoga, I have
      come to befriend my Spirit/Soul and in doing so we meditate on the
      Word, the Nam. This mantra is known as a Bij Mantra/Seed Sound
      called "Sat Nam," which means "True Identity." Sat means Truth and
      Nam means name or identity. As one begins to say this mantra with
      reverence, one's true self begins to evolve, becoming "one in
      spirit." As the Truth unfolds, one connects with the Divine, where
      Universal answers are revealed to those who chant or pray with
      reverence. PS- It was on the Path of Kundalini where I learned to
      befriend my Soul/Spirit, and where everything we do or say rides on
      one's breath, which I believe is the true elixir of life, or
      > "Fountain of Youth." I think the breath is just one of the many
      gifts that all of us possess, that is already within us, yet so many
      before us, thought to be outside of us.

      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 7, 2004
        <blissful_branches@y...> wrote:
        > Thanks for clearing those things up for me. Aside from being new
        to the group, please note that I do need to do quite a bit of
        reading. I also agree that Kundalini & Gnosticism are not two of the
        same, but merely conveying that the Gospels Thomas and Philip had
        certain qualities that remind me of Kundalini.

        > Please be patient with me.
        >
        > All the best,
        > Bliss

        Hey Bliss.

        Forgive me for not looking back in the earlier messages, but I'm
        hoping you were the one who had questions about how it was decided
        which books made it into the Bible. Here's a link that covers the
        canonization process:

        http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4R_Articles/Canon/canon.htm

        I hate that it looks like you may have to cut and paste one letter to
        make that work, but you may find it interesting enough to make it
        worth the bother.